1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jam583, Oct 7, 2012.

1. jam583

jam583 Junior Member

I need some advice .. my wife and I just settled in Phoenix, MD (Baltimore County) on a property that has a very long driveway. Our driveway width is 6 feet wide. The total length is 730 feet.

Looking at my options to clear snow. All I have is a residential john deere which I believe wouldn't be worth outfitting with a small blade or a front blower. It's just a small mower.

Putting a plow on my truck is $5,000

Buying a bigger John Deere is $15,000 (sub compact)

Getting a snow blower, figuring around $1,000 for the John Deere heavy duty one

My question is .. if I get a self propelled blower would I be out of my mind to think I could do this driveway?

I realize the clearing width is 26 inches, mean that would be 3 passes, totally walking 2223 feet (.42mile).

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

how much snow do you get and how big are the storms? lots of deals on used iron solutions
  3. jam583

jam583 Junior Member

On average, 6 inches .. a big snow fall around here is 8 inches. According to yearly averages, my area gets an average of 35 inches of snow fall a year. Although, it can vary greatly (i.e. 2010 where it was snow on top of snow well over a foot). Those storms are rare though. Last year, we had no snow.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Buy a beater truck.Don't need to register it or insure it.
  5. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

6. AugustArborists

AugustArborists Member
    from Wyoming

Is the driveway open on the sides, or are there bushes, trees or a fence? 6 feet wide is pretty narrow, If you have a couple of storms close together, plowing may get things tight fast due to berms.

A blower on your little Deere may be the way to go if you have obstacles to the sides, as I would have a hard time getting my wife on board with a $15,000 Deere for just our driveway, no matter how long it was...
  7. jam583

jam583 Junior Member

First snow is here .. about 3 inches and tons of rain/slush on top here at my house in northern Baltimore. I ended up buying a John Deere 1026 with a few attachments to use around the property and in the vineyard. I went with a read blade so I could use it in the summer pulling soil in the vineyard, etc.

I did all 730 feet in about 15 minutes with the setup .. two passes and I was done.

Loved it ..
  8. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

pay for the service by the season , push or inch