1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Breesegabe, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Breesegabe

Breesegabe Junior Member
    from Portage

I have an older Western cable controlled plow. I was out plowing this morning and everything was just fine, then it just quit working. Luckily I didn't lower it or I would have had to leave it at the site. It has a new solenoid, original motor, original controller. How do I determine which part is bad?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Start at solenoid, ck pwr in, then ck for signal pwr then pwr out at the same time. If you have pwr out move to plow motor and ck pwr while moving joystick. Also ck your gnd at the motor. I don't remember if the cables are signal pos. Or signal neg.

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

take jumper cables from the battery right to the motor power and ground. if the motor runs you have wiring issues.

4. Breesegabe

Breesegabe Junior Member
    from Portage

Yeah, I did jumper cables straight from the battery to the motor and nothing. Replaced the motor and all is well now. Thanks for the help guys!

5. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Replace?:cry: Rebuild! Thumbs Up

Better yet, have a spare to swap out and rebuild that one to use again as your spare!

6. Breesegabe

Breesegabe Junior Member
    from Portage

Good idea!

Sorry this is a little late as I only really log in when it is snowing. Its been a rough winter in Michigan this year but we have had a killer week this week! Eric, thanks for the advice. I kept the old one, I am going to google a rebuild kit right now!