1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need advice !

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nekos, Oct 16, 2003.

1. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I'm looking at 2 trucks to buy and can't figure out what one to buy.
    a 97 dodge 1500 SLT 5.2 V8 or a 98 dodge ram 2500 SLT 5.2 V8.
    both trucks are slightly over my price range so i would like to get one with lower miles on it . the 1500 has 56 k and the 2500 has 80 k . this truck is going to be my main driving vehicle as well as my work truck. i will be doing driveways and small lot's.
    I'm new to plowing , this will be my first year. i would really appreciate any advice you all could give me on my first plow truck :)

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd go with the 2500.It's a much heavier duty truck,and will carry a plow better.You can put a bigger plow on it as well.The few extra miles that are on it probably aren't a big deal.

Welcome to Plowsite. :D

3. Jake00

Jake00 Junior Member
    from Maine

IMHO, I'd go with the heavier one. It will most likely have a heavier duty tranny, and probably a tranny cooling system, where the 1500 may or may not. I have a '94 Chevy 2500 with over 162,000 miles and it's still going strong ... heavy duty tranny and tranny cooling system mean a lot in the world of plowing. I drive it daily. I also agree that it will carry a plow better ... as well as sand or anything else you put in it.

Just my 2 cents.

--Jim

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Either truck would be a good choice I think, but Im not too crazy about the 2500 truck having that little 5.2L motor in it. The 5.2 in the 1500 is ok though in my oppinion. Are you sure its a 5.2 and not a 5.9 360 motor in the 2500 truck? My buddy has a newer Dodge Ram 2500 with the 360 motor and it is a real slouch in the power department. My half ton truck has been great to me, but like Chris said, maybe you are better off with the 2500, being its a 3/4 ton. Drive both trucks and see which one you like. See if you think the 2500 feels sluggish to you with that little motor in there. "IF" both trucks were taken care of religiously, those extra miles on the 2500 dont mean much. Welcome to PlowSite! Let us know what you decide to do. Mike :waving:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2003
  5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

The 2500 probably has the 5.9, I don't think they put the 5.2 in the 3/4 tons.

6. nekos

nekos Senior Member

it does have the 5.9, just called to check. anyway thanks for the advise every one I'm going to look at the 2500 tomorrow :)