1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CLC03, Jan 26, 2011.

1. CLC03

CLC03 Junior Member

I have considered going into the snow removal business for a number of years. I am a full-time teacher and have a well-established lawn care business currently. I have been hesitant to start because I didn't feel like I would be able to handle it by myself and finding "good" help can be difficult. I also did not want to take away from family time especially around the holidays. Anyway, I approached a contractor that is considering the snow removal business also. WE are both in similar situations. I am looking for advice on how to go about starting the business with this person. Do I sub for him, does he sub for me, partnership, separate entity, etc.????????????????? What have you guys done or seen in situations like this?
    Thanks for your input.
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Stay as far away from a partnership as possible. One of you sub for the other and call it good. Make sure if your doing the sub thing, that you both have proper insurance coverages.
  3. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

This has been talked about before and it boils down to Money and Friends don't mix as a rule.
  4. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

Finding good help is hard, but possible. I know what a lot of guys are trying to pay their help, and that is why they can't find anyone good. You get what you pay for.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

snow removal is a 24/7 business
    family comes second when it is snowing
  6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Sure is/does!! There are many times in the winter for me when i wake up at 4am, plow til 8am, head off to day job until 6pm, back to plowing until 8-9pm, get up the next morning do it all over again. Its go go go in the winter. As for partnership (the word ship is in there for a reason) it wont work, itll end up sinking. DO THE SUBCONTRACTOR THING IF YOU CAN AGREE ON PAY. Good luck!!
  7. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Be a teacher up in Canada,tymusic they get paid so much , they do havta look for a second income and their union owns a lot of stock in the Toronto Maple Leafs and Bell Canada. Why would you wanna plow snow :dizzy:when you dont possibly have too:sleeping:?????????????????/
  8. ProLawn Outdoor

ProLawn Outdoor Senior Member

Ive been in a similar situation so I can shed some light on this topic, although I still consider myself a rookie in the snow biz. I am a senior in high school and have to work around a similar schedule for school as you do for work. It sucks at times, but Ive managed to do it for 2 years and i'm at 25 accounts all on a 1 inch trigger. My average route time is 3 hours start to finish. I wouldn't do any more than that on a part time schedule.

Go into business with him under the same name. Each of you buys your own equipment, holds your own contracts, invoices your own customers, pays your own bills, etc... Split some of your indirect cost like creating marketing material, shop/tools, liscensing fees, etc... You will both need to carry your own insurance obviousley. If your truck goes down or you have other obligations he can back you up and vice versa.

It's still going to be a commitment and you will have to accept that. I spent christmas eve and morning plowing last year and have missed lots of time from family and friends. It's the nature of the business.
  9. ironjet

ironjet Junior Member

are you looking to do commercial or residential ?
    why not just offer winter services to your current lawn customers to see how it goes
  10. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, if you are in the lawncare business you already have established customers. Insurance should just be an add on to what you already have. Start with this and see where it goes. Use the search function or just review previous post. There is some very good information on this site
  11. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

We plowed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day just before the new year..... Weather doesn't take a vacation, and if you are going to be serious about this - neither will you. Not until April.