1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice/opinions on new truck...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by LUCKY 7, Jan 6, 2011.

1. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

I've been looking for the right truck for a while now. (Ext. cab, short box, dmax/8.1 & allison) Found a few lately but there's one problem- they don't have the plow prep package. I would love to have it but it's been tough to find near me. Most of the options with the package are convenience items- how important otherwise? Opinions on what's more important- get the right eng & tranny or wait forever to get everything? Thanks
  2. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

pretty sure installing a plow on a truck without the snow plow package voids the warranty
  3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Depending on what year he's looking at, there may be no warranty left.

I know alot of guys plowing with trucks that do not have the plow prep package, myself included. I've had 2 trucks without it and plowed with both. I don't find it to be something to worry about.
  4. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

Sorry guys- should have mentioned that I won't be buying one with warranty left. The two main options I would LOVE to have are heated mirrors & rear glass. Don't know much about the different fan or skid plate. I know I can go without the package but, just wanted to hear from others about it.
  5. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

Until the 2011 models, plow prep was not available with the dmax. Front gvwr 4800 lbs and heavy dmax, adding plow puts your front end overweight. I have a 2007 ext. cab dmax without plow prep. I put a western 8' plow on, timbrens & cranked the t-bars and it's been fine so far.
  6. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Actually, plow prep was available with certain Duramax/Allison combinations until 2007 (including my 2006 ECSB), when they only offered it on RCLB, and then they brought it back in 2011.

To the OP, I would not be concerned about not having the plow prep package. The biggest things you get out of it are the torsion bars, and the 145A alternator. Well, the D/A already comes with the 145A alternator, and adding a set of Timbrens is the best way to mitigate the extra weight on the front end. Most new roof strobe lights come with cigarette plugs, so having the switch and pre-wired harness isn't life or death. The Allison already comes with the oil cooler, so you won't be missing that either. The only other thing your truck won't have is a dedicated, pre-drilled, hole in the firewall for the wiring harness. You can snake the wiring through another hole, or just drill a new one yourself.

The one key thing for you making this work is adding a set of Timbrens to the front.