1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on which truck is a better unit..

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dmontgomery, Feb 1, 2010.

1. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Looking at 2 trucks tomorrow.......which do you think is a better choice

93 Chevy 3500 dually, with 10ft flat dump, 185000 miles, rebuilt 454 auto, new paint all over, tires are good

or

94 Chevy 3500 dually 4x4, 9 ft typical dump bed, with a 350 and auto trans......states trans is new with many new parts,

bodies both look good....truck will only get periodic use, with leaf vac, hauling mulch, and could be used to plow and salt

I will withhold my opinions on which is a better fit for me...until I hear some of you comments....thanks

prices are basically the same

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You're leaving a lot to the imagination for us. Without knowing the milage on the 94' I would say go with that one. My reasoning would be gas milage will be better and save you thousands over the years. The 9' vs. 10' is no big deal, but I would prefer the standard dump body over the flatbed. Really I would't buy either because they are to old and I never trust the previous owners word on what has been done to them, or who has done the work. Good luck!

3. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I like the versatility of the flatbed better than the regular dump-could run just flat in the winter with a spreader, high sides for leaves and mulch, etc. Seems like gas mileage is a minimal issue since it is only beign used to work-and you will probably enjoy the extra power of the 454.

4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Is the 93 a 4x4 as well? I assumed it was, but now that I look it doesn't say it is. If you are using it to plow hills, you will want the 4x4. Flat, 2wd with a spreader is sufficient.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Well both engines are TBI (throttle body injected) so that is a wash. The 454 is a good motor, but a piggy piggy on gas. The 350 will have plenty of power to tow or push or haul whatever you want. Plus be a lil lighter on the gas. Both have the same trans, 4L80E, which is very good. Are there any receipts showing proof of the rebuilt 454 or anything like that?? And what kind of miles are on the 350? It will all boil down to what dump you want and if you want 4x4 or not. Are either of these a 3500HD or just regular 3500's??

6. dmontgomery

94 has 111,000 miles rebuilt trans., new hydro pump. all new brakes. ect... too much to list

93 is not 4x4

left is 93, right is the 94

truck.jpg

truck 2.jpg

7. WIPensFan

The toolbox is attached to the dump box on the 93', that is bizarre! They both look pretty nice as far as appearence goes. Get the 4x4.

8. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Love the dump body on the 93-but 4x4 wins. Get the 94.

9. dmontgomery

ok, well i need to get a good look at the 94....i have to admit that like the idea of the flat bed dump, esp. For sucking up and hauling leaves, i figure i could easily get 10yds. In a box on that....but i also like having 4x4

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

350 vs 454 in a truck that big won't matter on gas milage. The 350 while being smaller, will have to work much harder then a 454 to do the same thing. So while the 350 is working hard and sucking down the fuel, the 454 won't have to work as hard and not suck as much fuel.

Also the 93 looks to be a 3500HD. In which case, this isn't a fair comparison.

Your comparing basically an F450 to a normal 1ton dually. Everything is much heavier duty on the 93 (if its a 3500hd) compared to the 94.

The 93 (if it's a 3500hd) will have a GVWR of 15,000. A good set of drive tires and a loaded V Box on the flatbed will take care of any traction problems the 2wd should give you pushing snow.

11. dmontgomery

Thanks for all the Input......I am leaning toward the flatbed......but I will see tomorrow.....

Any more is welcome

12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Buy 'em both and switch license plates depending on what you need!!!!! :laughing:

13. gamberbull13

gamberbull13 Senior Member

We had the same truck in 2wd , w/35o auto And it was a dog and fuel mileage was terrible. Get. The. Big. Block

14. WIPensFan

I've driven both and the 454 is worse on gas by 6-7 miles/Gal. You will accomplish all the same tasks with the 350 and your profits won't be given over to the oil companies.

15. WIPensFan

Fuel mileage was terrible compared to.... what? A Honda Civic? That makes no sense. Fuel mileage was terrible, so get a big block.:dizzy:

16. dmontgomery

OK so the owner of the 4x4 sent me some pics, it was used as a plow and salt truck prior to his owning it. It had a pretty bad case of rust and the dump bed is not in great shape.... So I will go look at the Flat bed tomorrow and go from there.....

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The 350 in my 98 gets me about 11-12mpg. So whatever truck the 454 was in you were averaging 5-6mpg? I'd believe the 350 truck will get probably about 10mpg average where the 454 truck should be 8-9mpg. When both are loaded down I'd think they should be about the same with the 454 working less.

18. WIPensFan

My 454 got about 7-9 Miles/Gal. with the 350 getting about 12-15. It's noticeable whatever your doing, working or just cruising around. Sounds like the 4x4 is out of play now anyways.

19. dmontgomery

Not completely out of play but I am not looking for a project vehicle

20. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Still if the 93 is a 3500HD, then it is a hands down pick over the 4x4. It has a much, much higher GVWR than the 94. It will have a heavier front end, much bigger frame, etc. No comparison between the HD and the regular 3500.