1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on which plow for my truck

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by nosinjcted, Nov 3, 2005.

1. nosinjcted

nosinjcted Junior Member
    from MA

Well I don't know how long the old f250 is gonna last this year so I've been thinking about putting a plow on my dodge. I figure by the time the season's over the amount of $$ (not to mention extra time) im gonna probaly spend on the ford will probaly equal or come close to the amount for a new or slightly used plow. My daily truck is a 01 dodge 1500 exteded cab short bed it has a 360 and the sport and off road package which plow would you guy's recommend, I've alway's had fisher's in the past but they've all been the conventional style. I've never had a minute mount how do you guy's like them. Has anyone plowed with a similar truck, how have u liked it.

Thanks for any info/advice.

2. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Just me but if I was looking new Id look closely at a Hiniker Scoop Plow, or a Curtis.

That being said....Meyer and Western have their benefits because they are both great plows and parts are available at a lot of local places and people are familiar with them if you get in a jam.

The closest Hiniker dealer to me is 70 miles away.

I can buy most every Meyer part I need at Napa.

So there ya go.

3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I just put a Blizzard 760LT on my 04 Ram 1500.

4. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I was just going to say, go with the BLIZZARD. great plow!!!!!:)

5. nosinjcted

nosinjcted Junior Member
    from MA

First off, thanks for all the replies I really appreciate the help as i look for the right plow. How well does a 7.5' plow work for everyone. I've heard that when it is angled you're just driving over the snow that your pushing to the side. Anyone ever have this problem? It seems everywhere I've gone people tell me to get a 7.5' for my truck. I'm also kind of thinking of the future when I buy a bigger truck in the next 2 years It would be nice to keep the same plow if I could. Would the push plates and all the wiring harness's for the various plows work for a 1500 to a 2500 or 3500?

Thanks again

6. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

I had '94 with 7.5' and never "drove over pushed snow". If you eventually go with a bigger truck then go with a bigger plow. You'll be alot happier.:)

7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Do what he did and you would be very happy

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

they recomend a 7.5 because of the weight an 8 fotter will put on the light duty truck. 1500's are a lot lighter duty than a 2500 Ram.

If the generation is the same yes 2500/3500 plates will work, however the 01 1500 is the new generation which the larger trucks only went to for 02, so a used plow from a 98 2500 will NOT use the same push plates.

Fisher doesn;t make non MM plows any longer- there is nothing wrong with a MM system. Many people here seem to have trouble with them, but many people here had trouble with the old "headgear stays on the truck" systems too.

I have no brand recomendation- all I have used are Fisher's. (I have a MM1 on my 96 Ram and a Speedcast on my Chevy dump) you're going to get all opinions for how well they do- from awesome to don;t do it. IMHO 1500's are not a good choice for commercial plowing (as in plowing for a living) because of the light weight design, especially in Dodge.

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

oops, repost

10. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2001 Dodge 1500 Quadcab with a Boss Steel 7.5 and it's awesome. I've always had Western plows but last year I went with the Boss and i'm very
    happy I did. I put about 350-400 pounds in the back and it rides perfect. Go with a BOSS!:)