1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Advice on V plow on dodge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Duncan IN, Oct 27, 2001.

1. Duncan IN

Duncan IN Member

I am finishing up my second year of mowing and now considering doing snow removal for the first time due to the interest in my customers. I bought a 2000 Dodge Ram Quad Diesel 4x4 5 speed manual Long bed and my question is, am I limited to how big of a plow I can put on my Truck. I am considering a Boss Prower-v or a straight trip edge plow. Should I consider a poly plow? My Truck I believe has the snow prep package my springs numbers are 046. Any advice would greatly be appreciated!! Thanks

Last edited: Oct 27, 2001
  2. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Power-V on a Dodge

Duncan IN(I'm from Ft Wayne) I think I can help you with your question. But I have to tell you, I have some bad news and I have some good news. First, the bad news. You DO NOT have the Plow prep package on your Dodge Ram Diesel.Someone or your salesperson probably lied to you.(WHHATT!!??) I know your shocked but it happens all the time. Anyway we can only get the Plow Prep option from Dodge on a Regular Cab with a 360 V-8. Now for the good news.(hang on, it's gets kind of confusing) Your truck is already equipped with the components that make up the Plow prep group(HUH?) But they came along with another option your truck has,it's 1000 pound Cummins engine block. See what I'm saying? You have the Plow Prep suspension Parts BUT according to Daimler Chrysler, they already are near overloaded with the weight of your oil burning buddy nestled under your hood. DC (Corporate) wont offer the Plow Prep as an option because of what they perceive as a warrenty nightmare. But DC(R&D Engineering) KNEW we were going to plow our diesel pickups. After all, what would be the point of shoving a 245 HP diesel (400 in my case:D ) into a work truck for anyway? To WORK it, right? RIIGGHHHTTT!! My truck is a Modified Dodge 1 ton diesel with a 1004 pound 9'2" Boss power V in the Front and a 600 pound SnowMan in the rear. 5 years plowing and no problems yet.

3. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

to simplfy progreen's answer yes you can put a v plow on your dodge. i have the same truck as you only an 01 and have the 046 springs, i have a western 8'6" v plow and the truck carries it just fine.
    go for it!
    dan

4. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Dyna Plow

Yeah! What Dyna Plow said! ( Okay, I'm long winded. Dont gotta tell me twice to shut up when someone says "Hey ProGreen!" "Shaddupp!" I shut up no problem, I remember this one time...............:D

5. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Diesel plow prep

Starting in 2000, the snow plow prep pkg was available on diesel Ram's. The pkg is AHD, and available on 2500/3500 reg cabs, xcab, and cab/chassis. In the case of the quad cab, Dodge specs no more than 2 150lbs occupants in vehicle.

Also the max SUGGESTED weight for the plow assembly is 633lbs. This is obviously meant to keep from exceeding the FAWR(5200lbs). It is helpful to have ~600lbs of ballast in the rear to balance the chassis.

These spec's are from my '01 diesel owners manual, and the window sticker lists the AHD option as an additional $185 before discount.

Dave

6. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

hey progreen i got a good laugh out of your 2nd response,
    this one time at band camp they told me to shaddup.. so's i did.
    dan

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Remember that though thay all may work for the same company the people that design and build the truck and those who warranty it are different. The designers build the truck usually a lot stronger then the paper pushers will warranty it.

My Fords are all diesels. I have Fisher v and 9ft plows on them. They barely drop in the front with a plow on. I still have a fair amount of play in the suspension.

Trucks are designed for work. Furthermore dealers in the northeast at least know that when they sell a work truck that it will probably be used for plowing. They want to make the sale. I have been told by dealers here that they would warranty (in writing) any truck that I wanted to buy for plowing.

If you plan on keeping the truck then I would not worry too much about the warranty. If you do not abuse the truck then nothing covered under a warranty should be breaking before the warranty is up regardless of plowing or not.

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

DaveO is right on the money,you do have the plow prep pgk if you have o46 springs.I have a 2000 quadcab SWB,and they will put just about anything I want on it as far as a plow goes.I might go for the 9.2 Boss V plow,since this is for bigger areas,and the plow only weighs 68 lbs more than an 8'2".I was told by the Boss dealer that as long as I showed up with 300 lbs of ballast in the bed,they will hang the 9.2 on it,no problem.They would not put it on my buddies 2500 HD duramax though,they said the front end will be dragging on the ground as it is with the 8.2 V.Anyone who has plowed with a Dodge knows that these trucks push very well,especially with the Cummmins diesel.

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

John if I remember you have a manual tranny right? For those with a Dodge auto especially with a v-10 or diesel remember to watch the temp. You can burn up a transmission very fast when pushing snow.

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I have an auto,my temp guage is on the way as I write this.I plan on adding a cooler in series,due to my low stall torque convertor,it generates a lot of heat while going under 5 mph,buy above that speed it runs cooler than the stocker.