1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Advice on stripped out drain plug housing... pics

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by berg, Dec 11, 2008.

1. berg

berg Member
    from utah

I decided to drain and flush my system on my e47.
    I found Blue Meyer Hydro oil on sale for $5.95 a quart... life is good right?

I put my socket on the cylinder drain plug hole and I thought it was siezed. I really had to put force on it to get it too budge and when it let go it practically fell out. The inner cast alum ( I assume alum) was stripped.
    What would you suggest for a repair?.......I don't have the budget for a new lower housing so that isn't an option.
    I thought maybe I could do it without disassembly,,,, pack some heavy grease in the hole and re tap to a larger size. .....opinions?..grease the tap up as well.
    My biggest question is.... the reservoir where the drain plug is not under pressure ?
    I found a few small shards of alum inside and blew them out.
    The housing only looks to be barley 1/4" thick where I would re-tap.

whats suggestions would you give....all thoughts appreciated?
    Bet I'm not the fisrt to find thsi problem..
    forecast is for snow tomorrow!... got to get her done.

2. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  3. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Berg if it weren't for bad luck, I don't know if you'd have in regards to plow stuff anyhow. The Helicoil is a good option. I had that happen on mine once. It took out the outer half of the threads, but there was still plenty left on the inner part of the hole. I made a longer plug out of a bolt with a nut welded on and a hole drilled to fit the filter, it worked good. I needed it and didn't have a helicoil. Hope you get it going.