1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Advice on replacing engine in 91 Sierra

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Lee Homan, Mar 1, 2000.

1. Lee Homan

Lee Homan Junior Member

I have a 91 sierra with a 4.3L and 194,000 miles on it. My question is would you suggest a re-manufactured engine or rebuild it? Most guys around my area say it would be as cheap for a remanufactured engine. The only problem is trying to find a reputable engine company. I don't trust Auto Zone and GM offers their re-manufactured 4.3 at $2600.00 plus $600.00 the dealer wants for the installation. Seems high but it carries a 3 year 50,000 mile warranty plus if the dealer installs it I shouldn't get the run around if something happens to it. The truck is in real good shape and I only gave $2300.00 for it so I feel it is worth fixing compared to buying a new one.
  2. 4LOW

4LOW Guest

checkout www.paceparts.com, they list the<br>4.3's at 1600 reman & 2000 new, there is<br>a 250$ core charge. they come with the <br>same warranty as you mentioned.<br>
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Your dealer seems high on the price of that engine. And if you are spending that much money get a good wrench new engine. It is a pretty easy swap, something a good back yard mechanic could do in a day.<br>Dino
  4. crabber

crabber Junior Member

Dealer sounds way high. Should be about $1000 less if you reuse intake, carb, etc. GM performance sells an H.O. 350 for that much (give or take a buck). I don't think I'd spend a whole lot on the motor if the truck wasn't worth it.
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I did one in an astro last year,a brand new Goodwrench 4.3 was 1425 +300 core charge.Maybe you should try another dealer and try to get them to sell it to you at (shop price) which is usually around 20% off retail.They will,if they want your business.Do not install a cheap auto zone or similar reman.There is no way to tell if it was overheated or wias not properly assembled.The GM one has these advantages:all upgrades and updates done,it will have a balance shaft,making it smoother than a reman.Better sealing,quieter valve covers,3year/50k warranty.A big diff in resale.I look at an aftermarket rebuild as a reason to aviod a truck alone.A quality truck deserves a quality engine.If it's not worth it,you will have to decide how much to invest before parting it or selling.Good luck<p>----------<br>John D<br>
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I almost forgot,With GM you get warranty coverage coast to coast at any dealer.Some local parts stores may be out of bussiness before warr. expires.<p>----------<br>John D<br>