1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Advice On Limit Switch, Electrical Components

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by White Gardens, Dec 24, 2014.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Getting my pre-wetting system set up for my truck.

What I'm going to do is use this limit switch. When the lever on my hydraulic salt spreader hits it, it will engage the 12v electric pump. This will help to keep me from having to hit a rocker switch or toggle at the same time as I turn on the spreader.

There will be a rocker switch though to cut power to the circuit when I don't need to use the liquid pre-treatment, or the tank runs empty.

micro Switch.jpg

For this pump

pump.jpg

The micro switch shows up to a 15amp current. The pump is 11 amp draw.

But, my concern is that I might still need a circuit relay where the limit switch will engage the relay rather than the switch being part of the main draw.

If anyone has any insight on this, I would appreciate it. Otherwise I know a good local auto electric shop that might be able to help me out.

Thanks

micro Switch.jpg

pump.jpg

2. White Gardens

I actually just purchased a relay.

Seeing the numbers on the limit switch leads me to believe the amp draw is going to be too much for the switch.

The relay will also give me the option to add a bigger electrical pump, or multiple pumps if need be also.

3. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Good choice on the relay. I'd be willing to bet that pump draws over your switch limit on startup.

4. White Gardens

The 15amp number came from the Ac current draw.

I noticed the DC current draw was far less.

5. White Gardens

The 15amp number came from the Ac current draw.

I noticed the DC current draw was far less.