1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on Getting started..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PACMAN, May 31, 2004.

1. PACMAN

PACMAN Junior Member

I need money to buy a plow, and I have a few months to get it together, but was wondering if its possible to piece together the plow so I don't have to buy it all at once? I have a 2500 Dodge ram 2004 4x4 slt with hemi. Friend of mine has a Fisher plow and says he can put me to work if I get a plow, he has the same truck as mine except he has the Big Diesel motor. He can take his plow off and you can't even tell he carrys one, do the other companies make a similiar system? Thanks

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Fisher plows are mostly electric over hydraulic / some are all electric and older ones are all hydraulic. If you are asking if you can use another brand on a Fisher mount, the answer is "No". If you're asking whether other brands have electric/hydraulic, electric and hydraulic, the answer is "Yes". If you're asking whether you can put parts from different brands together, the answer is "No". If you're asking whether you can get the various components (Mount, A-frame, Moldboard) at different times, I suppose it's possible, but you could easily run into problems with availability of used parts. Buying new components will cost much more than buying a complete plow. Unless you are very mechanically inclined, the best thing you can do is not worry about what you're friend has and don't try to "piece one together", but get your own plow.

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

yes every other plow company makes a "quick mount" system in which everything comes off the truck when its not being used for plowing.

4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

PAC..........NOW is the time to buy a plow rig !
    Prices increase come fall !!!!!!!!
    Check your local newspaper, swap sheets, truck trader, etc.....

You usually can find a late model plow rig for a reasonable price.
    Sometimes DIRT cheap !
    Just check with a dealer that sells them new and find out the
    price new.
    That can be your guide on pricing a used one or ask the fellas
    here. Most know a DEAL when they see it !

Your best deal is to find one that fits your truck from the getgo!

Buying in pieces is VERY spendy ! Heck...... the truck side push
    bar is around $500 or so.

Good luck and pray for snow!.................geo

Last edited: Jun 1, 2004
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

ever think of getting a used plow rig instead of diving into 35k off the bat i know you can find a truck with plow

6. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I heard the reason plow manufacturers went to removable headgear was to minimize weight in off seasons. I personally liked the way my truck looked with the headgear on.

7. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

The headgear will also bring you business.. People will see your truck and start talking...

Man, just getting into the business and throwing a 2004 truck into it... Sounds pretty crazy to me.. That's like trying to learn to ride a motorcycle on a brand new Harley.. I agree with Plowman45.. Get an old truck and plow and start from there.. If you bang it up, no worries..