1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on front drive shaft.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gamfa, Sep 16, 2003.

1. gamfa

gamfa Junior Member

I'm going to be touring some salvage yards this Sat. in search of a front drive shaft for my k20/k30 truck. Most of these yards are out in the corn fields and cow pastures and I'm not sure the will have any info on inter-changable parts. Will any front shaft from a K10, K20, or K30 do the job from the 1980-1987 years?

2. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

The short answer is NO. It would need to be out of a truck with the same front axle and trans as the one it's going into.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

The length is the most important.The trans\transfer case combo is what is going to determine your overall length,but you can also measure it.Checking it on the truck is the easiest.If checking off the truck,then you must collapse it fully befre measuring.

Most yokes on the 1/2 and 3/4 tons are all the same.The larger one tons use larger yokes.You may be able to pull the yokes off the donor truck,and use them on yours.

4. gamfa

gamfa Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. I will get measurements before I start out.

wyldman........

Looks like I have an excelent source of help, including wiring diag's. in the area. By chance yesterday, I found a fellow down in the county seat that used to have a GMC dealership. He has an original 1982 Shop Manual under the counter. Told me to come back anytime and I could spent all the time I want going through it. My time was limited so I just checked out a thing or two, but when I go back I need to ask him about any parts. I noticed he had what looked like an old parts counter with a number of shelves with a lot of boxes of parts on them.

5. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Checking the length will do the same thing. On the trucks with a dana 60 front the shaft is a shorter due to the size of the front diff. The axle yokes will not swap out from a dana 60 to a ten bolt or a 44.
    One thing to do is find a driveshaft shop that will rebuild one or supply you with one. It's worth spending the money on it to avoid problems