1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on becoming a subcontractor

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kid-Dmax, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Kid-Dmax

Kid-Dmax Junior Member

Hey Plowsite,
    My name is Hank, i am formerly Deerewashed on here, but due to some email problems i had to make a new account.

I am from and live in Wilton Ct, but recently started Attending Penn State University for landscape Contracting and Turfgrass.

In order to make extra cash i am looking to subcontract for a business down here.

We have a business back in Ct. I am sure i can add snow plowing to our insurance(we didnt plow snow, i helped multiple friends out and got payed under the table)

the real question is, before i put a plow and sander on my duramax, what is the best way about reaching out to companies offering my services? classes are not much of a concern. i would work out a deal involving ocassional leaving for an hour or two during my resting time(cant plow without the ocassional sleep right?)to go to my class involving attendance, and i can skip the ones not canceled during the storm days(also i can plow at night)

any advice for me would be great. I know plenty of people on here plowed while in college, and i am confident it can be done.

Thanks,
    Hank

2. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Why not go to some local guys and ask for a job. Seems like a waste to put a plow and salter on your truck considering you'll likely be on winter break for a month in ct. I went to a college around psu and we just partied through. Some of my best memories were made having fun with my friends during snow storms. I could not see plowing snow and being in college especially if your a freshman in the dorms. Where you going to keep your stuff?? We had no on campus parking for the first two years and after that you were off campus in some crappy area with no parking.
    No offense but I couldn't see it working out. There will be plenty of time to plow snow after your four years.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  3. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

Look up some of the bigger contractors in the area. Explain your situation and ask if they are hiring subs. If you don't have a plow already maybe just see if they are looking for drivers or equipment operators.