1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Advice on A Used Boss 9.2 V RT3

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by ProMac1K, Jan 16, 2009.

1. ProMac1K

ProMac1K Junior Member

Hi everyone! I'm a relatively new member to the site. Actually registered back in '03 when I got my full-size pickup and was first looking into plows, but I had lost interest in getting a plow and my membership info must have gotten lost as well. I was recommended to visit this site by John DiMartino back when he was subscribed to a forum that I was on. Finally decided on getting a plow for personal and family use as i've got three yards to clean, as well as roads to open if the township plow doesn't get out before people have to get to work. For years we've used a IH three-point snowblower on the back of a tractor, but that is stored on another yard which is a hinderance, and the fact that the tractors never warm up enough to get heat has finally urged me to take the plunge and purchase a plow.

I've gained interest in the capabilities of a V-plow from having the township own one, so i've been searching for new/used dealers in the area. I think my best interest, for what I have to work with and what I have to do as of know, is in a used model. I realize a new model would come with a warranty plus new condition, but this is a new venture for me, i'd like to make sure a plow will work for me before I bite the bullet for a fancy new plow. I found a used Boss 9'2" Poly RT3 V-plow with locking cylinders, rubber 3-pc snow deflector, and the new-style formed cutting edge. I'm not sure of the year, or the condition, other than judging from a picture from the front of it. I've done my share of searching on the forum for the past week to see the pro's and con's of the Boss v-plow design. I've still got a bunch of questions that i'm unsure on. I'm curious if there is a way to figure out an age on the plow. From what i've read, i'm gathering that the RTIII's came out in around 2000 or so. I'm not sure when the new cutting edge came out, but from what I gather it is possible to put the new cutting edge on the older plows. So not sure if there is a way to tell the year/era or not. Also, would any of you have any tips to give me before purchasing? Like what to look for, what might need replacing or inspecting? Or what would be a good/bad price? I've made an appointment to look at it the first of next week. The seller says I can back out if it's not in good shape or what i'm looking for.

I've got lots more questions and would like to hear from you all.

2. ProMac1K

ProMac1K Junior Member

Sorry for the long winded post. I just wanted to give an introduction to the group here, and also wanted to show my interests. I've done a whole bunch more searching and have found most of my answers concerning the rapid tach and smart hitch systems, as well as the cutting edge. Still would like to hear from anyone on some inspection tips when I go to look at / purchase it. Also what about some common maintenance parts to have in the tool shed? And what prices are ya'll seeing for new 9.2 V's? I don't want to be ripped on this deal.

Edit: Oh, also want to thank B&B for the most excellent, informative posts that he has out there in the archives. Really learned a lot from reading his posts! Thanks!
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

as far as the year if you can get the serial number you ca e-mail boss and they can give you the year range of production .
  4. ProMac1K

ProMac1K Junior Member

Thanks for the tip Bill!

Anyone else have any $.02?