1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on a plow for 06 GMC 2500HD w/D-Max/Ally

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BlueOvalBoy, Aug 23, 2006.

1. BlueOvalBoy

BlueOvalBoy Member

I had a 2000 Durango w/ a Blizzard that was lost to a garage fire in late Jan. I didn't really care for the blizzard 'cause the mount hung WAY too low.

I've since replaced the doge with a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab, Short box. I have the LBZ Duramax diesel and Allison tranny. I need a plow and I'm leaning towards a western w/ unimount system.

I will be plowing my driveway (600 ft), my in-laws (50 ft), my parents (100 ft), and my uncle's drive (200ft). All the driveways are dirt and gravel. Point me in a direction.

Thanks guys,
    B

2. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

westerns are excellent plows...that is all we run, and have been running for years...but why not an Ultra mount set up? newer, easy hook up, and disconnect... I know of a couple Ultra mounts by me for sale...all you would need is the truck side mount since most of them are set up for fords.all the iso modules/harnesses are the same, only thing you would need is the headlight harness.....I have the truck side mount off a brand new 06 2500 part#69781-2 brand new..they go for $415 will sell for $250...your truck should handle an 8ft with no problem....Let me know...We plow a couple gravel lots/docks...westerns are great plows..my dad had an old conventional mount on a 78 F-250 for 15 years before it was retired...probably could have kept going....

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  3. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I love my Fisher X-blade.. I would't buy any other blade .

4. BlueOvalBoy

BlueOvalBoy Member

Yaz, How much ground clearance is there with the truck side mount when the plow is off.

Mike, PM sent.

5. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

If you talking from the bottom of the mounting horns to the ground.. I have 285's-Timbrins and cranked the bars about 4.5 turns so it may be useless to you if you're not running the exact setup I have.

11" at the lowest point and about 15.5 to the center of the hole.

FYI. My friend has a 05 6.0 F-250 and he sags about the same (no less) with same blade I have.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  6. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

Pm sent back...I like the western because with the shoes or horns what ever you want to call them in the frame mount on the 05 Ford we have 14.5 clearance with them obn from the ground to lowest point and with them off off it is around 16 or 17 I would have to double check...and the frame is tucked up real nice barely visible....they did a nice job...Now I dont know about the fords sagging as much as the chevys, the MVP on my dads 05 vs his buddys 2500 with an 8 ft pro, the chevy does the nose dive...But every one is different...

7. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Before the Timbrins my truck sagged allot. The blade just was too heavy. The Timbrins made all the difference. I don't do any off roading so 11" is fine with me. Check your rear end pumpkin and shock mounts, they are most likely the lowest part of your truck.

8. BlueOvalBoy

BlueOvalBoy Member

Thanks guys! The reason I'm concerned is because the 00' Durango w/blizzard 7.5' the bracket hung so low I couldn't drive into certain driveways during the summer months.

It sounds like I won't have that problem w/ a western or fisher.

Thanks,
    B

9. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

No way are you going to hit something like a driveway edge my half ton was way lower and I never hit anything ever.. Then again if you did some serious off roading:rolleyes: .

10. BlueOvalBoy

BlueOvalBoy Member

I found a great deal on a hinker c-plow.

11. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I would steer away from the C blade. A lot of people have had a lot of problems with the hinge. Plus that mount hangs low too. The western with the removable mount has the best ground clearance. Also looks great on a personal truck, because you can't see the mount.