1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on a new truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pasto_guy, Oct 4, 2015.

1. pasto_guy

pasto_guy Member

I have been needing a new truck to add to the fleet. I have been looking at a couple of new 2015 F-350'S. My question is should I go with the gas or the diesel? I have 2 2012 F-350's that are diesels so I know what they are capable of. We only average about 10,000 miles per year on each truck. How do you guys like your Ford 6.2 gas trucks? How well do they tow? Have you wished that you bought a diesel? Just hard for me to justify the extra 8,000. I could use that to put a plow and a spreader on.
  2. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Gas. And this is coming from a diesel guy. Unless you tow HEAVY loads regularly, stick with the gas.
  3. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 2011 F250 6.7 PSD. Traded for 2015 F350 6.2 Gas. No regrets. At 10,000 miles per year, you will never see the fuel savings. Plenty of power for my 8ft Western. Gas Engine is cheaper to maintain and fix if you do have a problem.
  4. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Unless you GVW over 20K daily, a diesel is not worth the up front cost, extra maintenance expense, and increased repair costs. This coming from someone who swore by diesel trucks. Our last 3 have been gas.

My 2015 6.2 has been great so far. 7K on it and no issues. 3:73 gears and plenty of power for a 24 foot enclosed trailer with mowers, dump trailer with 15 yards of mulch, etc.

I honestly don't know if I would opt for the diesel if it were the same cost up front. Much less pay more for it.
  5. pasto_guy

pasto_guy Member

Thank you for your input. I have been stressing on this for over a week now. Thanks again guys!
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Diesel guy here.....don't stress, buy a gasser
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Has anyone figured out how much of the 8k investment they get back when it's sold?
  8. JustJeff

Don't have a hard and fast answer, but I'm guessing it's considerable. I see used diesels getting much more on resale than gas, especially for higher mileage models. That being said, you might be getting a return on an investment and money spent that you never should have initially spent if you don't have a real need for it in the first place.
  9. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

I love this time of year..I really Do...If you already own that many Powersmokes what's a few more...Do you really own that many???
  10. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

We run ours till repair bills get to the point of half the payment on new, or the truck gets to the point that it can't be trusted to work when needed. If the repairs over 1 year average out to be half the payment of new, that truck gets replaced.

On resale, we've seen roughly 25-30% more for the diesel over comparable gas. That's not a completely fair comparison though, because we have all maintenance records from day one for the diesels, the gas ones we've sold were purchased used.

I'm estimating seeing about 25% more for the diesels over comparable gas trucks. At least that's what we base our cost per mile on.
  11. pasto_guy

pasto_guy Member

Yeah I really do. Also have 3 7.3 1997's. I only have 2 gas trucks but they are Dodge. I just haven't heard many reviews on the 6.2 gas trucks. In the near future I plan on phasing out the 97's but just haven't decided on the engine I want to use. The 97's all have less than 150,000 miles and I'm finding that the Power Stroke will outlast everything else on the truck. They still can become a liability if something goes out at 2 in the morning with the snow still coming down. Thats the reason for updating the fleet. I am just having a hard time justifying the 8000 extra for the diesel when I think I can do without.
  12. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I just purchased three new Ram trucks, 2 5500's and one 3500. Only one 5500 is diesel for towing. The other two are 6.4 gassers. I also couldn't justify the extra expense.
  13. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

I heard a LOT of bad reviews on Ford's 6.2 gas engine including from a dealer. I'm a Ford guy anyway and I haven't looked into any recent reports in the last six months.

I only have 4,000 miles on my 2015 Ram.

14. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I own both my lawn crews get gas dumps guys don't live them but they are fine
    My 6.7 go to
    Construction crews and they are great
    You will notice the difference and when you sell or trade in you will get most of the money back
    It is personal choice if you don't need it don't get them get gas
  15. Brains

Brains Junior Member

If the year right now was 2006, it wouldn't be a doubt in my mind to go diesel. But now I would go gas no question and i've become a real diesel nut. The dpf and def have been a total PITA on my 15. Seems like every month it's throwing a new code related to it. The trucks before the implementing of all the emission junk are leaps and bounds better

if you're going gas, i really recommend you try The 6.4l hemis. I test drove one when looking for a new truck and I was surprised to find how powerful it was. Wish i would have bought one instead of my 15 dmax.
  16. JustJeff

Brains, read my thread on this. You'll find a cure for your DEF/DPF problems.

17. Brains

Brains Junior Member

I read your thread earlier today. Really tough decision for deleting. I have EFI live on my LBZ and it goes good and hasnt given me any issue but for the 15 it's a real catch 22. Delete and lose warranty but get better reliability and fuel econ, but have the risk of facing big $$ if anything fails, but if I keep the emissions on the chances of breaking is higher.i'd just sell but i ordered it new and it's optioned exactly how i like right down to the color (which they dont even offer on the 2016 HD models so it's going to be a real rare color).

Sorry to thread hijack op.
  18. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I am one of the most die hard diesel guys you will ever talk to. That being said unless your driving it and are a diesel but get the gas truck. My 2013 f350 is the first gas truck I have owned and it does great. I pull 14k+ 100-500miles a week with no issues. In the winter I push a 9.2dxt with wings. Sure, it doesn't have the power of my 600hp diesels but more than enough to do the job. My truck hit 55k miles last week and has had no issues. I average 13mpg on the highway and about 10mpg towing. The 6.4 hemi is a good engine but is backed by junk transmission, the transmission behind the 6.2 is an extremely strong transmission (6r140).
    Good luck.
  19. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I have 90k on my 2011 350 with the 6.2 and I haven't had any engine trouble. I tow every day, between 3k and 10k depending on what's in the dump trailer. In the winter I run a 9.2 v with a loaded 2 yard sander. Never felt it was under powered.
    I test drove the diesels and while the power was impressive I just didn't think it was necessary.
    I would highly recommend the gas engine
  20. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Comparing the Old and New plow truck at the Telco I was working at... (97 7.3PSD vs 2011 6.2gas) I'd go with the new gas motors any day. New ones, if you don't regularly tow over 10k and drive less then 20k/year, doubt you'll ever see the benefit.