1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on a new plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pchieffo, Nov 23, 2003.

1. pchieffo

pchieffo Junior Member

I'm thinking of putting a plow on my 2000 Tundra. I know at least one person on this site has adapted a Meyer 7' poly plow to the Tundra, and that seemed like a good solution to me, but unfortunately I can't find a dealer that's willing to adapt it in my area. Even dealers that have done it in the past that I talked to are not doing it anymore.

So that leaves me with some of the smaller plows that are relatively new like the homesteader. I've also looked into the Blizzard 680LT. They don't have a mount for the Tundra, but say they'll have one next year. Comparing these two:

Homesteader advantages:

- It's larger than the Blizzard (7'6" compared to 6'8")
    - It has the scrape-lock feature, which seems like a useful thing with these lighter plows.
    - I can get it now :)
    - the moldboard is a little bigger (21" flat vs. 21" at the edges and 18" in the center for the Blizzard)

Blizzard advantages:

- It seems better built and more durable than the Fisher. The mount and moldboard for the Homesteader seemed pretty light-duty to me.
    - It seems to have a better mounting system

I'm just doing personal work with it, 3 driveways. But one of the driveways is crushed stone, and it's at the end of a dirt road that I have to plow also, so I'm a little concerned about the durability of the Fisher.

Any suggestions?

2. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

Have you tried fisher or curtis? curtis will put a blade on anything.
    I work with a guy who has a 03 toyota ext cab and he put his 61/2 fisher min mount from a 89 toyota all he had do do was upgrade the push frame that mounts to the truck. good luck

3. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

When I was looking for a new plow I was steered away from the Homesteader because I was told it was only good for your own driveway, not others or any roads. So I opted for the the Regular Duty Fisher. I would check out other brands such as the meyers and contact the manufacturer and ask them for a dealer in your area who will convert it.

If you can't find any, I can give you a couple near my neck of the woods in MA.

Good luck.

4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

i would look into a 7ft curtis snowplow or a 7ft meyer snowplow. also take a look at sno-way snowplows which is a lighter plow and still very durable.

5. pchieffo

pchieffo Junior Member

I haven't yet found a Meyer dealer that's willing to customize the mount for the Tundra, but I'm still trying. I'm also calling the Curtis dealers in the area to see what they'll do.

I agree that either of these is probably a better bet than the Homesteader

6. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Hi pchieffo, my sister lives in Bolton right near the Nashoba valley winery....anyway, I don't know if you're willing to travel a bit to get that custom done, but you might want to give Lacey Truck Equipment in Medford a call. They're a fairly large outfit and there's a good possibility they can help you.

Here's a link to them for more info. Good luck!
    http://www.laceytruck.com/contact/index.cfm
    Michele

7. pchieffo

pchieffo Junior Member

Thanks! I'll give them a call tomorrow.

I'm just a mile or two from your sister. Small world, isn't it?

8. snowplowman

snowplowman Junior Member
    from NH

homesteader

It's good your doing your homework

9. Rob Hausrath

Rob Hausrath Member

Given the fact that Blizzard is experiencing HUGE increases in sales each year, has an ever growing dealer network, has a product (the Model 810) that no other manufacturer has, and is in the process of adding a 20,000 square foot addition to their factory....

I'd say that they'll be around for another year or two...

C'mon now.... really.... does being in business for 56 years guarantee that you'll make it another year?

Fisher, Boss, Meyer, Western, Curtis, Hiniker, Sno-Way, Artic, Blizzard, and many others all make great products, and all seem to be stable companies....

After only four full seasons out there, Blizzard is experiencing tremendous growth and adding new products each year.... Why start the bashing...

Especially if it is unsupported....

10. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

PC..........As far as i know fisher,western,meyers,
    and diamond do NOT make a plow for a Tundra.

Western does make one for a Taco tho..............
    A few of the guys here have them..CT Fireman
    comes to mind.

My bud has a new Tundra and wants to plow...
    But toy dealer warned him.......Plow snow and wave
    bye-bye to factory warranty !

Western and Fisher dealer told him they won't install
    on a Tundra....................hmmmmmmm

If your handy you could fab up mounts for your truck.
    But $$$$.
    Around my parts I have only seen 1 tundra with plow!
    good luck.............geo

11. jtwh20

jtwh20 Junior Member

pchieffo,

give curtis a call - 508-363-1464

you'll have to drive worcester but its right of 146

the homepro only weighs 500lbs

12. Maine Plow Man

Maine Plow Man Junior Member

What's the matter Rob? Can't stand to have someone else on the site cheerleading for a competing product the same way you do Blizzard?

13. Rob Hausrath

Rob Hausrath Member

I have no problem with anyone cheerleading anything....

I do have a problem with those that knock the competition to try and sell their product.

Just trying to keep it clean guys...

14. pchieffo

pchieffo Junior Member

Hmmm... I must be missing something. I don't see anything in this thread that could be contrued as cheerleading or knocking anybody. If you're referring to my original post Rob, then let me be clear that I wasn't knocking the Blizzard in any way - in fact, I think it's a great product, and if it were available for the Tundra today I'd probably go for it. The only problem I see is that is might be a bit small for the Tundra. But that's really a problem with the Tundra - since it can't carry a lot of weight on the front, the only plows available for it usually are really designed for smaller trucks like the Ranger or Tacoma.

sonjaab - The warranty question is an interesting one. It seems that some Toyota dealers say the warranty will be voided, and some don't. I looked in all of my documentation, and I couldn't find any statement that cancelled the warranty if I put a plow on. It's not such a big deal for me though, I've got 52k miles on mine, so I'm almost out of warranty anyway.

I talked to Curtis by email, by the way, and they said they have no plans to make any kind of a mount for the Tundra.

But... I also talked to a sno-way dealer in the area who would put an MT90 on the truck (the 90" x 24", not the tiny one). I'm thinking this may be the way to go.

Wow - sorry for the long post :)

And thanks for all of your comments so far, they've been really helpful.

15. Rob Hausrath

Rob Hausrath Member

pchieffo-

No, it was nothing that you said... you are on the right track.

As far as your dilemma goes, what can Blizzard not supply to get a plow on your truck? I have an undercarriage in stock for a 700LT on a Tundra, but it may be heavier than you'd like to go at 525 pounds, the 680LT at 350 pounds would certainly be a little easier on the front end.

If you are just doing driveways, the issue of width (as long as the angled plow covers the track of the vehicle) becomes less important. It matters more in parking lot applications. Most driveways are going to require two passes with a 6'8" plow or a 7'6" plow.

Good luck with whatever you decide on!:waving:

16. pchieffo

pchieffo Junior Member

I wonder why my local dealer didn't tell me there was a Tundra mount for the 700 (did you mean the 700LD? or is there a 700LT also?). I'll have to call him back and check into it. Thanks for the info.

I have Timbrens all around on the truck, so hopefully 525lb. won't be a problem, although it's probably pushing it a little bit. The sno-way MT90 weighs almost that much also.

17. Rob Hausrath

Rob Hausrath Member

pchieffo-

The 700LT was formerly known as the 700LD, exact same plow, just a slight model number change. Both the 700LD and 760LD we changed to 700LT and 760LT respectively and were joined by their new "baby brother" the 680LT this year (2003-2004 inventory).

The 700LT is 6 inches taller and4 inches wider, has a thicker moldboard and cutting edge, and a bit more steel in the A-Frame and pivot beam.

You can check www.blizzardplows.com for all the specs.

I have no experience with mounting the 700LT or LD on a Tundra, those that I've installed were on Dodge Dakotas and Ford Rangers....

Good luck!

18. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Snoway shows a tundra pushing snow on their website....

Derek

19. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

Dmontgomery

I saw that little clip too. It looks like the same year as pchieffo's Tundra.

Pchieffo

Did you mean in your origanal message that the blizzard has no mount for there plow? The fisher does have one for the 2000-2003 Tundra. I have a homesteader on my 99 s-10 and I love it. I would agree that it does look alittle under built on the back side of the mold board. So far no problems here with it and I have done dirt drives. If you should get either one of the great lite duty plows out there it is a good idea to get one with a down pressure option like snowway or fisher.

Josh 99zr2

20. I see that the Homesteader and the Sno-Way have down pressure systems, but do the Fisher LD's have it as well?