1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on a 97 GMC Plow Trk

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JoeB, Dec 2, 2007.

1. JoeB

JoeB Junior Member

I sent a crew out last night and the 97 GMC worked great until they were 2-1/2 hrs. into plowing. (Residential driveways)

Here's what happened. Everytime the plow was lowered, the lights would dim and when the plow was raised, the truck died. I had to pull it off the road - tried it later and it worked fine.

Anyone know what I should check first. More snow is predicted for Tuesday.

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Drawing to many amps it's killing your battery when using the plow, check your alternator and if poss. upgrade.

3. JoeB

JoeB Junior Member

Will do - thanks.

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I forgot to tell you to check the plow motor too as this cloud be the problem more so than the alternator.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What kind of plow Joe?

It might dim the lights when you raise it but it should never dim them when lowering the blade. The "lower" valve/coil assembly only draws a few amps and definitely shouldn't draw so much on the electrical system that it causes the lights to dim... sound's more like you have a direct short in the control harness.. might want to check that one out ASAP.

6. JoeB

JoeB Junior Member

It's an older Western and I haven't gotten to it yet. Initially thought I had a short so will definitely check the harness out also. Whatever the problem is, after it cools down, it operates fine.