1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on 1st Whelen corner strobe install on CC 2500HD?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by jkski, Nov 11, 2011.

1. jkski

jkski Member

I am thinking of doing my own install of the Whelen Hide Away kit (4 strobes) on my 2006 GMC CC 2500HD and wanted to see if anyone had some advice. I have never installed one of these before and while it looks pretty straight forward I know that there are probably tricks outthere to make it much easier. So here are just a couple of my questions:
    1) Into which light are you placing the strobe: Rear (brake, backup, etc.), Front (turn, daytime running light, etc.)

2) When you drill the hole into the housing to mount the additional bulb, how far away from the existing bulb do you have to go for there to be clearance?

3) Where inside the cab are you mounting the controller? I want it in an out of the way place so that it is not seen.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated, even if it is to take it to a pro and let them do it. If I did take it to someone, what should I expect the install to cost?

Thanks.

2. Thor78

Thor78 Member

We have a 06 Chevy 2500 with the whelen haws too, but it has 6 of the screw & gasket style bulbs tho. I'm not sure if that makes a difference with the holes or not. I used the drl holes for the fronts and the factory reverse light holes for the rear. Then hooked up some work lights to the factory reverse wires so we had reverse lights. The other 2 I stuck in the cargo light holes. I mounted the power supply behind the drivers seat and the switch up under the dash on a metal tab to the right of the e-brake. I believe it is a sho-me, 2 toggle/1 momentary for front, rear, pattern. I also used all factory gromets & hole for running the wires so there was no drilling. The cargo lamps are a tight fit if you choose to go that route. Me and my buddy did it in 1/2 a day easy. Never had a problem with them in almost 5 years. Good Luck!

3. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

im placing the strobe in the rear back up light also in the cargo lights
    front i am still deciding i have 3 options marker headlight or fog probley going in the marker as the marker has easy access

1 inch also drill a slightly bigger hole first then a 1 inch into the reflective piece in head light check ead light first

i have not decided yet i dont want to cut or drill my interior so i anm going to ave to see but i also want it accessiable.
    i am doing my strobes possibley this weekend

i googled how to install strobe lights video got some good info

4. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

email me for my phone number....i cant type all i can tell you via phone.

5. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

There is no right or wrong place to put it. It's all about personal preference.

Rule of thumb for strobes is you want to be at least 1" away from the OEM bulb.

A lot of people in CC's choose to put the strobe pack under one of the rear seats.

6. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

im putting my power supply in the engine compartment .
    i had a very good friend make me a nice box water tight and has some vent tubes for air and there is room on the left fender well right besides the windshield fluid and a/c

7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Did my own install on my 05 Ext cab, strobes in headlights, and in the brake light area of the taillights, two in front four in the rear. Power supply under rear seat. Power source and ground must be run to the battery. Switchs are a custom plate mounted in over head console. PM me your email and I will email you some picture of the install.

Mike

8. jkski

jkski Member

Thanks for all of the advice, I am thinking that I am going to do the install this weekend and save myself the $300+ that everyone wants to install them.......hopefully I do not regret it and cost myself more$$$.

Couple of questions:
    1) I've got a 1" holesaw, sp is there any special trick to drilling the holes into the plastic light housing and through the reflective backing? I have done a lot of fiberglass installs and the trick has always been to run the drill in reverse to avoid taking a big bite and damamging anything around it.

2) In looking at the wiring that goes to each bulb it is obvious what plugs into what but there is also a bare ground wire coming off on both the bulb end and box end, what should I attach that to?

3) The kit did not come with any type of on/off switch or dial to control different settings. In addition there is no power or ground wire supplied. So, it looks like a trip to my local electronics store, so what exactly should I get? What type of switches, fuses and wire size do you suggest?

4) Finally, I am planning to mount the box under my rear seat but will I need to cut out the carpeting under it so that it mounts directly onto metal or can I simply shim it up off the carpet? If I can shim it, roughly how much should it be to alow proper airflow to get under the box?

Thanks again for the help and advice.

9. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

It was a pleasure talking with you toady.....I hope you are now on a better path to your goal. Let me know if you need any more advice or questions...feel free to call anytime.