1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on '08 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks' started by turfquip, Oct 11, 2010.

1. turfquip

turfquip PlowSite.com Veteran

I want to set up an '08 TRD with a 7.5' plow.

What brand/model plow would be best suited?

Also, what suspension mods would be necessary...I want to also run a small salter 300 - 400 lb capacity and carry 1500 lbs bagged salt with me whil;e plowing.

I almost hate to do this to a really nice truck, but its fit it with a plow or buy another truck.

Thanks pumpkin:

2. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

That truck would be great with a 7.5 plow.
    Brand is really up to you, around this area western is the most popular.

I ran an 88 toyota with a 7.5 blade and smaller salter for many years and it always did well as long as you plow with the storm.

3. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Blizzard Boss or Snoway should do the trick.

4. turfquip

Thanks! What about suspension mods?

Should I add a leaf in the back.... lift the truck a couple inches?

How about front... I dont want the nose dropping a bunch when I lift the blade.

I dont mind spending a few hundred to improve the truck's readiness....where is it best spent?

5. App SnowRemoval

App SnowRemoval Junior Member
    from Boone

I was interested in putting a plow on my truck this year but i just dont think it will work good. I dont even think that there is a company that makes a plow that big for these trucks the biggest i have seen is blizzard in width and height. Let me know if you figure any ideas how to put a good size plow on one i would like a 7.5 with 27" height but i dont look like its possible.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I've set a few Tacos up with 7.5 foot 22 series blades. They are a real good match, no suspension modification necessary but you need about 300 lbs of ballast for good traction and a nice ride attitude.

7. turfquip

I like the series 22. I just checked out their site.
    Would you recommend the optional down pressure?
    What can I expect to pay for a series 22 w/down pressure? Without?

Thanks!

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Prices differ greatly dependent on many factors. Do you have a local dealer?

Yes; get the down pressure, I don't stock them any other way and the wireless remote is the bomb.

9. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

I would do the 22 Series 7'6". Maybe a tailgate Salter with a few bags of salt in the back. Get Timbrens front and rear (insurance as its cheap) and you should be good. I have a similar setup on my Dakota (except using an equivalent of the 26 series 7'6")

10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

A 7.5' Fisher HT would work great on a Tacoma IMO.

11. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think they make the plates for Tacomas anymore.

12. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That sucks. I think a Fisher HT would be awsome on a Tacoma IMO.

13. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

The Taco front springs are gonna sag hard, you'll end up riding around on the Timberens with the plow mounted. Toyotech sells OME lifted springs (about 1-1.5 inches) and end up leveling the truck with the plow not on If you add a leaf in the rear. I got an '06 Tacoma and discovered real quick how soft the fronts are. Heres Toyotechs' link, I found they were the cheapest are pretty good to deal with, good luck.

Toyotech-------> http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php