1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Advice..New to the Business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by golfprojp, Oct 18, 2011.

1. golfprojp

golfprojp Junior Member

I just joined the forum and can tell you there is a ton of info here, I have been visiting it for about a week and still haven't even scratched the surface.. My question is this: I am completely new to the snow removal business, I am a professional golfer and a GM at a local club in Chicago by trade. I receive a salary for 12 months but do not have to go in Dec-March so I am looking at buying a used vehicle and trying to work for a snow removal company this winter. I figure it would be very good additional income and keep me from going crazy and stringing up the kids this winter. Where do I start? If I call a local company advertising on Craigslist would they want someone with experience or be willing to give me a chance. How do you guys handle seasonal/new hires? Any suggestions on how to approach them? I am extremely reliable and always the 1st to arrive and last to leave but this is a lilttle new to me. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and I apologioze for the long-winded post!
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Hello and welcome to the site. I have a ton of questions for you as well,lol. Well first off you to be insured with commercial liability, commercial vehicle insurance, just call your insurance agent he/she will know what to do. Call that company who is hiring and ask how much insurance you will need, (1 million, 2 million etc.) I think a 1 million dollar policy is maybe a whoppin' 3-400 bucks for a season. You will also need a EIN (tax#) from your state because now you will be a sub contractor. Second, you will need (if you don't already have) a decent reliable truck and plow. My thoughts on this are a clean, low milage well maintained truck is ok but I never liked the idea of buying a used plow unless its a season or two old and very, very clean. The last thing you want is to be out of service because you bought someone else's worn out headache. When you go to any company just be upfront with them with your lack of experience, 9 times out of10 if your reliable and have good equipment your going to be hired, and the fact your available 24/7 is huge! I would start off with a larger reputable company at first, many times they have the resources smaller companies don't. For example, when I first started I had an older truck that ran well etc. but one night the plow separated from the "A" frame, I had the money to fix it but things were tight. They offered to put it on their dealer account and pay them over a few months. After a few season's I worked for another large company and my tranny blew out, they did the same thing. Hope this helps, good luck.