1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Advice From Commercial Plowers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WELDER, Dec 20, 2004.

WELDER Member

so far ive been a driveway man. no commercial accounts at all.but i got a call this morning from a major hotel chain and they want me to come down tommorrow and give them a quote .i already have insurence standing by, so thats covered. i already have a price in mind as to what im gonna charge for plowing and a price for salting. what the grey area is,that if it gets so deep it needs to be trucked out,i dunno what to charge for that, cause id have to sub that out. and also how do i go bout a contract,and how do i get paid?at the end of year, month, etc. i am no rookie as far as experience,just a rookie to the big leagues :eek: . also any other advice on this would be of help, as im a little nervous. :waving: ..thanks welder
  2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

why did they wait so long?

I would be asking myself why they waited so long. What works for me is to charge a season price up front for "x" many trips, then if you go over it bill'em net 30.

WELDER Member

its new. it just opened up.thus the reason they waited so long..... :waving: thanks
  4. chris k

chris k Senior Member

As far as the snow removal goes I would call around your town and see if you can hook uo with someone and get them to give you their hourly rate. As far a setting up the contract and getting paid...if it is a chain then they probably already have a contract set up in mind that they use at their other locations. If not use what works best for you. As far as getting paid usually they pay their bill once a month. I have dealt with them before and usually they will give you a date that all bills have to be in by. If you miss the date you have to wait till the following month. The only thing I have found is that sometimes they will require you to fill out a log sheet and have it signed by the manager on duty..no log no $$$. Good luck.
  5. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

I*D just Start Plowing & NOT Worry about getting a lot of SNOW hauled Off when ever?-- Lock the JOB UP! FIRST as YOURS!-- & Worry about getting Any SNOW if Needed? Hauled Off? Latter! -Ole JIM-
  6. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Call a few trucking companies and see what they would charge you to carry the snow off and what their time frame would be to get to your location. Then call an equipment rental company and see what it would cost to rent a bobcat for 3 months. The you will have something to go by. Personally, I wouldn't wait until you have the contract to check because what would happen if you get the contract and then can't get anybody to do the hauling? Or you can't find a rental company that has a bobcat available? You don't want to lock the job up and then find out you can't handle it. Just my opinion... :nono:
  7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Around my area a dump truck and backhoe or loader is going to cost about $90 per hour with one operator. I quote to my customers that price for hauling out snow and a 4 hour minimum.
    All my contracts are billed at the end of each month and payments are due within 30 days.
  8. osbo68

osbo68 Member

I'll tell you some of the things we do. We bill all of our accounts monthly. We use a seperate invoice for each 'trip'. The operator's intials, time, and date. And if nessescary we will also put down the snow depth if required. If you have all of the info there is less of a reason to question the billing, should a problem occur. We have never had to 'haul' snow off before but we do occasionally have to open up a lot. We use a 1845c skidsteer and bill hourly from the time I leave our shop till the time we get back. If you have to rent go from the pick-up till the drop-off time. Set your hrly price accordingly so as to cover fuel cost, transport time,etc. You can rent one here for around $25hr. min of 2 hrs. If you go $75-$100 hr for your time you should easily cover your cost. If your not exper. get some practice before you head to your customer's. They are paying for a professional so get all the bugs figured out before you go. One thing I would check on is to ask them when there busiest hrs are. Motels seem to be busiest in the morning and night. They may not want it kept clear all day. Just some thoughts and opnions for you. We all do it different so take what you can get from everyone and apply what works for you!! Good Luck on your first Comm. account.
    Happy Plowing! :waving:
  9. NU-Plowr

NU-Plowr Member

the fine print....

*In the event that it becomes necessary to move or remove piles of snow, there will be a charge of $150.00 per hour for loader services.
    There will be a minimum charge of one hour allowed for equipment loading, destination charges and equipment unloading. No snow removal will take place with out the consent of property owner/manager prior. Failure to remove snow from site, may, in extreme circumstances render the site unserviceable.

May want to add that little clause in the contract......
  10. WELDER

WELDER Member

hey, i wanted to thank everyone who responded. :drinkup: i went down this morning and put in my bid.apperantly there were alot of others there beforeme.am im sure someone will beat me out as i think i was alittle high. but i figured why bust my azz for nothing. but the info i got here was "priceless". if by chance i do get it ill be sure to thank you all again.

it was funny tho, as the maintenance super tol me the owners only wanted part of the lot plowed not all of it. they didnt want any snow trucked out at all if it got too deep also.so they are starting the season off with only half a lot cleared. i know they will call back if they get swamped and want the rest cleared. then it will be a nitemare.whats the hourly rate for nitemares? :rolleyes: .....on a good note, maybe ill get lucky and see paris there one day.......lol.............thanks again .....welder
  11. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

That looks alot like my clause? Except for this (No snow removal will take place with out the consent of property owner/manager prior. Failure to remove snow from site, may, in extreme circumstances render the site unserviceable.)