1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need advice bout 98 dodge

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by yngbld, Oct 30, 2013.

1. yngbld

yngbld Junior Member

can i plow with a 98 1500 ext. 4x4 8ft bed with air bags? if so what you recomend as for plow model. thx in advance

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Air bags? Lowering bags? Fast bags? Lift Bags?

Any 1/2 ton plow should work fine. What dealers are near you?

3. yngbld

yngbld Junior Member

advice needed

passenger air bags...i heard air bags could deploy when plowing.also heard not a good idea with ext cab and long bed. this came from a unreliable source though

4. kimber750

If you hit something hard enough for the air bag to deploy plowing you probably needed it. Length of truck depend on what you are plowing.

5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

it's just that longer trucks are harder to manuver, look for a 7.5' -8' plow

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I use to have a 98 Dodge and hit snow covered curbs at about 30 mph among other things and never had the air bags pop.
    The sensors for the air bags are behind the bumper and if you it something hard enough to trigger them ,like said above, you probably needed them.

1/2 ton truck I would go with as light of an 8 footer you can find and set some spare change$ aside for repairs.

7. yngbld

yngbld Junior Member

Thx for your input guys...I've never plowed before.but I have an opportunity to make some side cash at my construction site..guess I will look for a light plow..any suggestions to a model? And what type inside controls for ease of operating.any tips on plowing a lot that would save time you could share with this greenhorn would be great.

8. kimber750

GO SLOW your first time out. If possible take a close look at the lot before the snow flies. Nothing like catching an inlet, manhole or water cap at 20mph to wake you up. Plows will back drag parking blocks. And no one else knows how to drive in the snow. That's pretty much the basics.

Go to your local dealers then decide on a brand of plow. They do break and you will need parts, might as well buy parts from a place you like.