1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice--- Bobcat 553

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Kramer, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

OK,

I'm looking at possibly buying a Bobcat 553. For starters , I need to "re-arrange" my yard--its a little over .5 acres. That said, some small clearing , and a little grading maybe.

I never had one, but if it goes well, I might consider doing some work for other people.

I like the 553 cause its relatively low weight ( I don't want to buy a massive vehicle to tow it) and also because it seems small enough for really tight places. I know most people say to get the biggest machine possible, but I question that considering the scope of work I'm looking to do.

Please give me your thoughts---they seem to go for about $12000 used.

And before you ask, sure, theres part of me that just wants a new toy! There, I said it! :rolleyes:

Thanks.

2. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

3. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Thanks!

The one I was looking at was a 2002 with low miles, a cab and heater. It might be good for snow!
    It had a V plow, forks and is located relatively close to me.

I was wondering if anyone had first hand experience with this model... the 700 series is more popular by a quick search.

4. BobcatS250

BobcatS250 Member

553 is still a compact SSL and may give you trouble if you try to push it hard (big buckets, moving trees, heavy digging). I'd go with a 753 or higher if possible. 12k does seem like a bit much for it... I'm not positive, however.

5. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

The 553 is a great machine. If it will lift what you want it to lift and fit ware you want it to fit then it is perfict. Heated cab, forks, both smooth and tooth buckets and a V plow are great also. then if you had the work add a backhoe and broom. nice thing about the 553 is you can tow it with anything or even put ramps in a pickup and carry it.