1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need a starter rebuilt

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cameo89, Mar 30, 2008.

1. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Looking for a good place to have a starter custom made or rebuilt, my father in law ownes a Kenworth w/ a on site 2 cyl. disel gen. , heater & air cond. this is in place to to help w/ not always running the main truck engine,(to save on disel fuel) any ways to get to the point....The starter is a reverse rotation, it has been half way around the world and back and every one said Sorry they were not able to rebuild.....So my question "Is there any good places to have a starter rebuilt"?

Brand: Idol eliminator
    Model: Tag a long
    Engine: 2 cyl disel

Built in 110volt genarator, heater & air conditioner

He is a truck driver and is in Florda now but as soon as he returns I will try to snap some pics if they are needed.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, Yon

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Did you try automotive componant rebuild shops? look it up in the phone book in the auto parts section.

3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

4. Jon.

Jon. Junior Member

Cameo,

I did some digging -- looks like the company went under or was purchased, not to much technical info available.

Having said that much, all they did was purchase an engine from a vendor -- Yanmar, Kubota, Perkins, Cat, Deutz....to do the job. Your FIN should look over the APU and determine which engine it was equipped with.

While, as Micki and StSf suggested, any "good" electrical shop should be able to source or rebuild the starter...the next logical step would be to find a local or online source of parts for the [previously identified] engine. I can't imagine, due to reliability and noise issues, that it would have some crazy off-label 3rd World engine.

Jon

5. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Thanks alot for the info, we called and will be droping it off next week, he said that it would be no problem to rebuild it, I hope they can fix, it's been to about 6 places to be rebuilt, but they all said can't fix it....So I hope that Morton Grove can do the job!:waving:

Thanks again, Yon

6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Great! I've had only good experiences with them. Is it a lombardini engine?

7. ght1098

ght1098 Member

Don't know how far away you are, but Marine Industrial Auto and Electric has always done great work around here. They are in Norton Shores. Just FYI.