1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need a spreader, small truck...bulk salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by aloe, Dec 3, 2014.

1. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

My business has grown & I've found myself in need of a salter. I have been hand spreading bulk salt treated with magic liquid (self treated). I've come to the conclusion I will need a vibrator for whatever Salter I choose.

I'm considering a Curtis fast cast 550 with a gas engine. It's the small 1/3 yard hopper. I like this one for multiple reasons....small, still have some bed space, can remove with 2 people & can run bulk.

Also, a sNoway 6' TG spreader. Adjustable spreader direction! Motor up & away from the salt & a belt will go first before a motor or transmission. Will need a vibrator tho. Also it's a one man job to install or remove. This would be perfect for one L shaped property on the corner of a very busy intersection!!

Both are affordable for me & yes the money is a deciding factor....as is weight & ability to spread what I need.

Anyone have any opinions???

2. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

Get as big of a Salter that you can fit/afford. You can grow into a bigger Salter, but not a smaller one. Also, go electric. Just my opinion.

3. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

My truck is an 05 tacoma. Think those are the biggest or close. The engine on the Curtis is blown & comes with a replacement engine at no extra cost. Was considering an electric motor swap

4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I was going to say that also BUT it is nice to have a big one for a 1ton etc and a smaller one for a smaller more limber pickup as an option. If you are going to be a one truck show and not grow then yeah go as big as you can now.

5. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

For now I'm a 1 truck, 1 man show. May need to hire a laborer this season tho. Toyota will be replacing my frame soon! So I'm on the fence about selling this truck as it handles the narrow drives & small comm. lots easily.

6. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Saltdogg 3/4 or 1 yard v-box hopper spreader. They're designed for 1/4 ton trucks such as yours.

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Where in new york are you? I have a fast cast 550 for sale, everything works as it should, also has a spare motor from a tiny pressure washer I had.

8. RMGLawn

RMGLawn Senior Member

If you don't want a Vbox look into a Salt Dogg TGS07. I have one on my f150 and really like it. I built a wood box to have bulk dumped in my bed then shovel it into the salter

9. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Albany area. Travel to eastern LI frequently.

10. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Almost bought a snowex sp3000 on eBay. Guy was just south of me. I asked if he would sell it locally & he said no. Next day, sold locally :/

11. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

I saw one on CL. It looked a bit bulky...wasn't sure if it would have been too much hanging off the receiver. With saltdogg.....are their entry level salters different quality from their others like the TGS07.

12. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

13. THEGOLDPRO

14. THEGOLDPRO

15. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Looks nice!!

16. THEGOLDPRO

The only reason we took it out was we upgraded to a 2 yard
    [​IMG]

17. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

That hopper looks huge!! I'm guessing these small v box spreaders don't get removed until the end of winter.

18. THEGOLDPRO

Plows and sanders stay on trucks till April.

19. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

i have a saltdogg shpe 2000 that runs bulk salt, its pretty big, i bought it last year knowing i didnt need to fill it so i only filled it halfway, this year i almost doubled my salting route so now i fill it all the way, if the truck can handle a larger salter i would do it, but if not just buy a tailgate spreader. They're easy to use and the saltdogg aloe posted is one of the ones i have and it works great! i just would recommend buying a off the market controller immediately.

20. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

I like the V box for obvious reasons. I also like the TG spreaders bc they can be removed. Idk, guess I'll have to look at them both.