1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need a small plow truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by vwovw, Feb 24, 2008.

1. vwovw

vwovw Senior Member

i have a 99 F250sd and a 06 F150 xlt with plows. i was thinking a ranger. what years are good and what motor. should i go another route?

2. slappysdump

slappysdump Junior Member

I had a 94 Ranger Splash Ext Cab w/ a V-6 and a 6 ft Western blade. It pushed snow really well. I had to put a electric puller fan on it to keep it cool when going on long drives w/the plow on it though. Kind of miss that truck for doing driveways--my 02 F-350 Ext Cab DRW Dump is way to big for most driveways--LOL

3. Brandon

Brandon Member

'98-up has torsion bar front end. '97-down didn't. My '97 handled a 6'6" Unimount very well though. Go with the 4.0, the 3.0 will push just fine, but with the plow and ballast weight it becomes a real turd. Depending on what plow your looking at getting, keep in mind that most plow manufacturers only make a mount for the '97-down trucks or the '98-up trucks.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

If you do go with a ranger, make sure you find one with a ford engine and not a mazda engine. A smaller sno-way plow or Western midweight should serve you well.

If you look in the pics forum, check the thread solo operators ride. Its a ranger with a sno-way set-up.

5. vwovw

vwovw Senior Member

yes it was going to be a snoway. good tip on ford motor. thanks.

how does their four wheel drive stand up? can you buy after market hubs?

6. Brandon

Brandon Member

Might want to check out TheRangerStation.com for info...

7. this is my second Bronco and I wouldnt sell if for twice what we have into it.
    Best setup I have ever had in 5 trucks.
    tc KC and Jetta

8. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

the newer ranger i believe have live frontends so no screwy hubs 4wheel goes in ever time never had an issue my 91 was difficult some time. but we fixed the front hubs turn auto ones in to lockd all the time.

9. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

If I needed something smaller, I'd look at 66-77 Broncos. those things are awesome