1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need a Second Opinion On Numbers

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by PigeonToe, Oct 13, 2010.

1. PigeonToe

PigeonToe Junior Member

First Time Poster, Long Time Reader

Our company has long done a few banks, stores, and other less than an hour pushes but I've decided to put our equipment to use this year. I have an articulating loader (906 CAT) another cat skid and a new 1 ton that I've decided to push snow with. I figured they were sitting in the shop all winter and I might as well make some money with them

I bought two Arctic sectional (one 10' one 8') pushers for the CATS and a western V for the truck but that's not what I need help with.

There is a large 7.5 acre (31,000 sq. ft) Strip Mall property that I am bidding and really want because it would put my equipment in the "Mall area" where there are hundreds of stores and with one anchor account I could be a little more aggressive in adding a few nearby properties. Without it, hauling a 906 is no easy matter. Here's where I need help

I am used to bidding contracts that only take a few bags of salt and almost everything takes under an hour. Easy to bid. In and out. This one wants a per push and per salting

The area is so big I am not used to calculating this amount and they want rock salt bids or what they call rock sale/calcium chloride mixture (do you think they want half and half?) I know they want entries and planted areas calcium. I am only used to using only calcium chloride.

Using measurements I've found here I figure the 31,000 square feet would take approx 7000 pounds of rocksalt.

So does this sound reasonable? Just looking for a second opinion since this is much larger than we usually attempt. Not more difficult, just larger

3 hr push ( Pretty easy and open with intelligent locations for snow locations, imagine that) A few truck ramps that will require switching to a bucket to backdrag but otherwise pretty simple but large

Salt 7000 # rocksalt or calcium chloride.
  2. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I think your a little high on your salting number- We're only putting down 800-1000 Lbs an acre- Your putting down 3.5 tons on less than an acre. Dont forget to account for traffic etc. That salt will work a lot better than you think when cars a dragging in and around your site.
  3. PigeonToe

PigeonToe Junior Member

It's 7.5 acres. Still think it's low? I left a 0 off the total on the post
  4. Fatality

Fatality Senior Member

Your acreage and square feet dont make sense. For 7.5 acres should be approx 326,700 sqaure feet. Also your salt is really high. We only put down about 600# of salt per acre.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  5. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I think you're in good shape. I looked right past the acerage to get the sf.
  6. z_scapes

z_scapes Junior Member

I'm bidding a large lot for the first time as well. My numbers for salt are same as metioned above, 800-1000 pounds per acre depending on the upcoming weather.
    I'm curious as to how your figuring your hour? Three machines for 3 hours to do 7.5 acres?
  7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I can do about 2 acres an hour with a truck. that is open lot with not many islands or other obstructions. so a loader and a truck should be able to handle that property in 3 hours. But your salt is high and if you are using calcium then you are really high with your ice melting calculations. 600 to 700 lbs on a normal day per acre, up to 1000lbs on those nasty cold windy days. Good luck.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010