1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need a plow truck?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by snowlovr, May 7, 2012.

1. snowlovr

snowlovr Junior Member

I am looking at a used truck for plowing next year. Want to put a v-plow 8'-2" Boss. I know I want a 3/4 ton, gas, automatic transmission. The biggest thing I need is for it to haul 5 people.
    So I am asking for any recommendations as to what you think works best for plowing.
    Am looking at Dodge, Chevy or GMC.
    I have a 3/4 Dodge, diesel, single cab with only 62,000, has v-plow boss on it now and thinking of selling entire set up and start over.
    Thank you for any and all suggestions.
    Snowlovr

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I just sent you a profile message about this but am wondering about the 5 people thing - are these kids, adults, short trips, or long vacation style trips?

The Dodge Quad cab (2003-current) is spacious and bigger than the Ford/GM Extended Cabs but is certainly smaller than the Ford/GM Crew Cabs. They have more leg room so adults would be happier on longer trips, otherwise my 04 Ram 2500 Quad cab was fine for my 2 kids.

3. snowlovr

snowlovr Junior Member

I did get your message and Thank you it was very helpful. I have 3 daughters and are all teenagers so would like to have the extra room. I have been leaning towards the chevy/gmc 2500hd. I really appreciate your response

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

My suggestion - keep the plow truck the plow truck and buy a minivan.

We have 2 young boys - neither was even though of when I bought my plow truck, and I'm not planning on giving up the maneuverability and functionality of a single cab std bed. We got a minivan to replace the wife's car. That's cheaper in the long run.