1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need a Plow for our Dodge Ram

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Snapdragon, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Junior Member

We live in NW Colorado, get a decent amount of snow and sometimes some bad drifting. Our driveway is about a half mile long and its not straight and flat. We have a Ram 2500 with the snow chief package.

We were looking at hefty homeowner type or light commercial type. We want something that is high quality, easy/low maintenance, quick mount and easy to use. We were looking at spending between $5500-$8000 for the plow and install.

Research so far has us looking at Hiniker, Fisher and Boss. Is one of these brands better than the other? Suggestions?

Thank you

2. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

That $ range will get u a commercial plow of your choice. I have run curtis fisher and Hiniker, I like the hinikers mounting system alot. Very easy and quick on/off.

You can get a homeowner/lite duty hiniker for around 4K...

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Fisher and Boss are high quality plows IMO. The Boss gos on alot easier than the Fisher. You will need an 8' plow on your truck since it's a 3/4 ton. All Fisher plows have a trip edge but not all Boss plows have a trip edge. I prefer the trip edge. But it's all on personal preferance.

4. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Boss than Fisher. Hiniker is a BIG NO.

5. ChicagoPlower

ChicagoPlower Senior Member

I can highly recommend Boss. I've switched our trucks to Boss plows from Western over the last couple years and couldn't be more pleased. They've been very reliable and durable. I don't have first hand experience with Fisher and Hiniker. Just curious Pushin to Please, what kinds of problems have you had with your Hiniker? Is it an older model 9'?

6. ChicagoPlower

ChicagoPlower Senior Member

Why do you need an 8' plow if the truck is a 3/4 ton? Do you mean it could handle an 8' plow?

7. JFUNN

JFUNN Junior Member

So whats wrong with Hiniker ?

8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You don't need an 8' on a 3/4 ton. But why put a 7.5' on a 3/4 ton when it can handle an 8'? Plus the 8' clears the tires alot better.

9. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Yes it was an older model. Late 90's, early 2000's. I have had fork problems, breaking and bending. The Hiniker, IMO, does not raise high enough off the ground. Several of my subs have had these issues as well, along with others. I have heard that they have improved these issuse's, I am just not a fan after dropping the plow to backdrag, and the plowside comes off the truck because the forks broke.

10. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Dont have that issue with mine. In fact I wish the lights were a little higher. I can just about block the lights with the plow raised all the way.

11. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

they all seem to be well-built plows. Boss and Fisher both have high reviews on this site. Hiniker seems to have a bad name for some early models having issues but no one that I know has a single problem with them at all. I see them all over (probably cause they are made in my state) -not once broke down either. I would say-as others would agree- that your best dealer support is what is important. The greatest plow is junk if you cant get parts in a hurry. (plus i think half the stuff that breaks is operator error anyway...):mechanic:

12. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Junior Member

You guys are giving me alot of great info. I really appreciate it. :nod:

13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The Boss and Fisher designs have - A. Been around for a long time/have proven themselves and B. Are fairly simple (aka reliable). I'd go with either of these two for those reasons alone. Personally I'd choose the Boss, the hydraulics are very fast and I like the mount better. This is coming from someone who's only owned Fisher plows but uses a Boss to clear the parking lot at work.