1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need a plow for my Ranger

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by hero419, Feb 29, 2008.

1. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

What are my options?
    I have a very steep dirt driveway that takes me 2 1/2 hours to snow blow.
    with a new son in the house it is impossible to do anymore and I need to be able to take him along with me.
    - I don't plan on doing any other plowing other then my own home
    - Average about 10-15 storms a year
    - 1999 Ford Ranger 4.0 4x4
    - North East PA

Whats the cheapest?
    Whats the best?
    How do I find a good used plow?
    What's the most I should spend?
    Would like power angle.
    Do I really need power angle?

Thanks in advance
  2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

wouldnt it be easyer to just let a company take care of it for u? 4000 would put a really nice reliable plow on ur truck that will last for years. go with a snoway down pressure will really help and its lite. most of them make little plow. i ran snowbears on both my rangers. never was truely happy but it never let me down
  3. das fisch

das fisch Junior Member
    from maine

if you go snowbear, i've got a set of mounts that would work for you.
  4. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

why would he need mounts for u new ones come with mounts just gotta order them. and if there not back orderd it only takes a couple weeks. and awhole new one is only a grand anybody who buys a used snowbear isnt that smart.
  5. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I've had readlly good luck with my SuperPlow. They are a sponsor and you can get a unit for $2600.00 with remote control. I've done 12 inches of snow at one time with mine and I love it. Plus, no extra wear and tear on your truck compared to the front plow. A set of Roadmaster suspension springs works well to give the rear end a little boost but the plow weighs 500 lbs and your truck is designed to handle 2x that amount easily.

Just my $0.02 on the subject. I've found the superplow to be very easy to use on dirt/gravel drives as you can easily adjust it off the ground without having to mess with shoes, etc.
  6. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

2000+ for a plow you drag around!
    I think I'll pass
    thanks for the info though
  7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

You live with in an hour of jerres service. The best snow plow guy in the country. See him about a blizzard 680LT for your truck.
  8. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

Does he have a web site?
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your in the NE portion of Pa your way more than an hour from Erie (Jerre's)

What are you looking to spend on a plow?

Plow prices are all over the spectrum. Several hundred dollars for something used that might work, or may fit your truck with modifications, all the way up to $4000 for a brand new top of the line plow installed.
  10. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

I just saw the web sight "Erie, PA" maybe he got his east and west mixed up
    I was looking for somthing around 2000 or less, I may be swayed to a BIG quad with a plow. The only problem is that in the off season, nobody likes quads tooling around on there land. (I'm in the country)
    So I am still torn.
  11. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Actually. It's $2600+ for a plow that you can either back-drag or push with. I run up against all sorts of contractors and people who laugh at the pull-plow / Superplow concept. That is untill I take them on a run and hit some residential driveways and condos. Then they start asking about price, warranty and how hard are they to install.

I have my time-sheets from the last 5 inch snowfall and I think a front plower even with back-drag edges and down pressure would have a difficult time beating my speed, and cleaning quality. 15 condo units, each with 2 driveways, each driveway is 2.25 cars wide (22') and 70' long. Plowing and clean-up of city plow mess took

Time on site was just under 75 minutes to do 30 medium sized driveways. Just to give you an idea of how quickly the plow pays for itself....

Per push account at >6" w/ 2" trigger

$30.00 per drive includes cleaning front of garage doors and shoveling 15 feet of walkway.
    Our normal rate for residential drives is $35.00 per push and includes shoveling in front of the door (sidewalks extra). We give the condos a break because of proximity and $$$

$900.00 per push. The condo owners are responsible for their own ice-melt but we have been called out 3 times for heavy ice storms for salting. We charge by the ton and they pay accordingly. My cost includes $10.00 per hour in fuel and $15.00 for my snow-shovel / snowblower guy. $900.00-$31.25=We'll round to $850.00 a push. I've pushed that site 17 times this season.

They are a special case though, as they do their own mowing, fert-squirt contractor, etc. None of our local contractors want to touch the properties as they all want the mowing. Also, we have to move the snow and are of course responsible for any sod-damage and / or mechanical damages.

I'll get off my pull-plow soap box
  12. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

Still, thats a lot of money for a homeowner
    (This is the right forum subcategory is'nt it);)
  13. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Wow really got to stop reading plow site after a 12-13 hour long day at work. Brain is so not with it. My bad.

Anyways, Western surbanite/fisher homesteader, curtis home pro or blizzard 680LT are all great plows.
  14. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

15. salopez

salopez Senior Member

i have a very nice western 6.5 unimount off a ranger...i can get som pics.
  16. das fisch

das fisch Junior Member
    from maine

woah, easy there. just offering. i picked up a "used" snowbear (used once) for $500... guess i'm not that smart
  17. jacksonjrs

jacksonjrs Junior Member

I just bought a used snowbear up here in Rochester, NY from Craigslist. Plow cost me $500 plus $300 for my vechicle mounts and shoes. I don't see any reason why not to buy a used snowbear setup. Just like buying a used vechicle the price is always cheaper you just have to do your homework and know what to look out for.

Back on topic: check out a snowbear, even if you have to buy new there only around $1200. For the average homeowner they are perfect. No they aren't a commerical plow. But if your only doing your driveway you don't really NEED a more expensive one. If you want the biggest and best look at the other brands people have mentioned.
  18. SuperPlow Guy

SuperPlow Guy Inactive

As with most things you get what you pay for... We are actually having an end of season sale, and everyones prices will be going up next year (2008/'09) not just because of oil/fuel but iron ore prices are scheduled to go up 60% plus as of April 1st! So anything made of steel (plows,appliances,whatever) will definitely be on the rise. Give us a call if you are interested...
  19. festerw

festerw Senior Member

There's North East, PA (the city) which is fairly close to Jerre's and North East (the direction) PA which is mostly not close to him.

At any rate you may be able to find a decent used plow for your Ranger, Western/Fisher and Snoway have made them for awhile.
  20. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

A Snowbear would be your least expensive and they are tuff little plows.
    Other than that you could go with a Suburbanite or Homesteader. Anything else
    your getting to heavy. Good luck!