1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need a plow for my cherokee in NH...

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by greenfreak, Jan 10, 2006.

1. greenfreak

greenfreak Junior Member

Hey all, I've decided to get a plow for my cherokee, a '93 with a 3 inch skyjacker lift and 31x10.5 BFG MT's. I know it's not the *best* vehicle for this task, but it's what I've got so I've got to make it work. I've been reading this board for the last few weeks, trying to educate myself on this topic. I was leaning towards a Snowbear, as I'm only interested in plowing my own driveway (approx 75 ft. gravel drive) and the price is right. However, I would consider a used "real" plow if I can find something in the same price range.

I've searched the local papers and called a few local equipment dealers and haven't been able to find anything used that would fit my jeep. Does anyone have a line on something that I could use? I'm in North Conway, NH and wouldn't mind driving a couple of hours to pick something up.

2. PBC IN BUFFALO

PBC IN BUFFALO Junior Member

I may have a plow

Im in buffalo NY and have a 6.5 western unimount suv plow in great condition except for the moldboard which is in decient and solid shape also have the controller and wiring and mount (bought this year and never used just installed on the wifes 2001 dodge dakota ,with very minor modifications it should fit your truck just fine I may even have a set of timbrens brand new for a jeep Id have to look let me know... Im also a welder and may be able to help with installation.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  3. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

PBC in Buffalo: I may be interested in the timbrens. Would they fit a 97 cherokee? philhicks@bright.net is my e-mail.

4. greenfreak

greenfreak Junior Member

thanks for the response, PBC. sounds interesting... do you think I'd need the timbrens, considering that I do have a lift kit with some pretty stiff springs? also, about how much are you looking to sell it for?

5. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

6.8 Fisher MMII

greenfreak
    I have a 6.8 Fisher MMII in good condition...on a 97 jimmy...email me for pix at JAX1013@aol.com...asking $1500...you wont need any additional timbrens or springs..I have it on a stock jimmy and its fine..

Thanks Jack
    917 417 6611

6. greenfreak

greenfreak Junior Member

PBC - I just realized that Buffalo's about a ten hour drive from here. As much as I appreciate your offer to help with the install and such, that's more of a drive that I want to deal with. I appreciate the offer though...

Jax - your offer sounds like a possibility. I make the trip down to Philly every once in a while, so it wouldn't be too much of a detour to meet you on my way back... Do you think your MMII would mount on my jeep? I'm looking on fisher's site, but haven't been able to find those details yet... Also, the MMII is just the mount, right? What type of blade comes with it?

7. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

plow

GF,
    Philly is only about 90 min from me. I'm about 20 mins away from exit10 on NJ Turnpike.if that helps... I think you go that way to philly...If you email me at jax1013@aol.com i can send you photos..The MMII is a complete plow. The only thing you would need is a truck mount. I dont think the Gmc mount would work on the jeep. If you know a good welder they can probably fabricate something for you. I can ask SIPLOWGUY he would probably know...It was his plow and he also has a jeep cherokee..I'll check with him in the a.m.

Thanks Jack
    917 417 6611

8. PBC IN BUFFALO

PBC IN BUFFALO Junior Member

complete set up for sale 6.5 suv unimount plow

Heres the deal ....I have and dont need a western unimount 6.5 complete plow set-up for a 2001 dodge dakota. (Wifes truck I was going to set-up as a back-up plow truck but now selling truck) After getting the mounting brackets which are basically in brand new condition, wiring harness & plow controll toggle switch, brand new never installed timberns, a brand new mounting bolt kit from western which includes all brand new bolts needed for installing, a solid western unimount 6 & 1/2 foot suv plow without a pump... apparantly it was stolen from the previous owner. It also it has a poly moldboard sheild for improved snow deflection. The western pump currently on the unit was a spare that I had and only used for about maybe 20 hours tops... it shows... when one of my pumps failed during a serious friday night storm. I can explain more if somones interested by email (northernerie@aol.com) plus Im willing to deliver plow or meet in a reasonable distance from buffalo ny for a fair fee. As for price YOU make ME an offer, please be reasonable if youd like a response to your offer. As soon as I get time I will probally place it on ebay. OK this post is long enough already..............I can supply pics via email in a few days... thanks!
    May seperate if the price is right...

9. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

Fisher 6.8 MM

GF
    I just spoke to SIPLOWGUY and he tells me if you have a Grand Cherokee that you cant put a plow on it. If its the other, the only item you would need is a actually a push plate. I think its the same as a truck mount but thats what he called it. I'm not exactly sure. The wiring should be able to work. Its not a MMII.. Its a regular MM . I personally dont know the difference...either way email me and i'll send you pix.
    Thanks Jack

10. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

92 Cherokee

Just put a new Snowbear (poly moldboard) Flexblade on my stock 92 Cherokee. Attaches to Jeep with a front mounted 2" rcvr hitch (on mine, choice was Hidden Hitch from 1-800-hitchit). I chose Snowbear cause I didn't need a "professional" setup, (nor the price tags that go with it) just a "personal" plow will do fine.

My entire unit weighs 290 lbs, and when raised it only dips the stock front end about an inch and a half. Biggest disadvantage is having to get out front to switch left/right/straight (but after all those cozy hours in that comfy
    Cherokee a fella needs a little exercise).

If you are interested, there's a guy on ebay called seejaysales that is a dealer.

Yesterday was my first experience with it, and after 4 parking lots and 8 driveways I can truly appreciate the value of this entire rig. So much better than 6 hours on a snow blower.
    [​IMG]

11. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

Oops - couple more things...

Plow comes shipped to you in two boxes. No need to drive anywhere (unless you are like me and coudn't wait for Yellow Trucking to show up at the door - so went to the terminal and got it). You have to bolt it all together, but I did it in less than two hours (and I ain't no rokit siantist). Put the hitch on myself too - 6 bolts (two 1/2" holes to drill). No welding, no fabricating (and front hitch will be useful for spotting the trailers, carrying the cooler and surf poles, and perhaps some day a winch for pulling others out of the snow/sand).

Have Meyers lights for it now, but need to get a wiring schematic and a relay. If I lower it just a little, headlights shine over it and it still has plenty of road clearance.

Sure wish I'd have had a nice setup like that when I lived in Chocoruah NH (but all personal plowing there was done for us by the town of Tamworth).

12. greenfreak

greenfreak Junior Member

bdhunter - thanks for the info. I am considering going with a snowbear. Considering what I'll use it for I'm thinking it'll do the trick. I just wanted to see if there was a used setup I could get into for the same money. If I do go with a snowbear, do you recommend using a front hitch to mount it over the standard mount? It seems that installing a hitch to mount it with would let me use it for other things, so that's cool. Is there any downside to the hitch mount vs. a regular mount?

jax - I've got a regular cherokee, not a grand. Thanks for the heads up, though... I tried to find a fisher mount that'll fit a cherokee, but no joy... It looks like I'd have to get something fabricated if I went with your fisher. I don't really know anyone up here who does that sort of thing, as I'm fairly new to the area. I'll have to ask around and see if I can get a recommendation from someone...

13. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

14. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

Here is what I did for a plow for my 91 XJ. All i wanted was something that would plow my drive and my fathers house, so cheap was the way to go.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of my $350.00 truck, and $250.00 plow from a YJ

[​IMG]

After measuring everything, I was able to make two mounting plates to attach the mounting backets. With the help of Plasma cutter and drill press, it didnt take too long.

[​IMG]

Here is where all the fun starts, and you need to know your hieght and making it level since your not using the correct mount. The only issue that came up was I took all my measurements before installing new front springs. this made the mount about 2 inches too high. But was able to fix. What you cant see is I had to fab up my own lower mounts to the truck. The Yj ones are too long.

[​IMG]

Here is the end product. Took about a week of afternoons, but has been great for what I use it for. I also sub for my buddy, and has worked perfect. The only thing I did do was add 400 pounds of sand bags to even out the truck. Good Luck

15. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

greenfreak - that front hitch will do plenty for me. Between my son and me we have two utility trailers, a boat on trailer, a small camper - so when it comes time to pull them out and repark them, so much easier to push them where you want them.

We also want to carry a big ice chest and surf poles this year - luggage rack will plug right in. I also have a 17 1/2 kayak that will now go on the roof so much easier with the front and rear mounts plugging in to the 2" rcvr.

So - for a small investment, endless possibilities. And the plow - see no disadvantages at all - no twisting while pushing - and so easy to connect and disconnect plow.

Here's an add for an older snowbear...
    http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/121447600.html
    and an ad for the one like I bought if you can afford a new one...
    http://www.realtruck.com/productlin..._flexblade_snowplow_7_blade_fits_2_hitch.html

16. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

"Here is a pic of my $350.00 truck, and $250.00 plow from a YJ"

Wow - great idea! Sure saved a bundle, too! Hope it goes well for you.

And when you're ready to pretty it back up, I can see a nice fabricated aluminum diamond plated bumper.

17. greenfreak

greenfreak Junior Member

Plowlikehell - very nice... my problem is that I'm not the most mechanically inclined guy. With computers I'm a wiz, with cars, not so much... So any custom fabricating is most likely out of the question. That's part of the appeal of the snowbear, I guess. It would be cake for even me to install it.

bdhunter - thanks, sounds like a hitch mount is the way to go then, if I do go with the snowbear. I didn't notice until now, but you have the flexblade, eh? I haven't decided, if I do end up going the snowbear route, whether to get a sb200 or the flexblade. the sb200 is a bit taller, wider and heavier, but the flexblade I'm thinking will be more durable. I'm wondering if it plows as well. What are your thoughts on the sb200 vs. the flexblade?

Northman - that's a nice looking jeep you got there... I hope my jeep lasts as long as yours...

18. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

I was thinking it would be neat to have the hitch-mounted flex-blade, too, for those benefits...or the sb200, because I have a full size truck, and I was concerned that the smaller models (flex-blade included) would be too narrow, and wouldn't plow a path that is wider than my truck's tires. I called snowbear and asked them what the plowing path width is on these models. for the 7' models, it is 76.5". for the SB200, its 80". I measured the footprint of my truck, and its 77".
    I was going to go w/ the sb200, just for the width. But the cheapest price I could find on it was 1400 bucks...$400 more than the $987 price at Sam's club, for their "winter wolf extreme". which is basically the same as the other "winter wolf" models that you see on line. except its red. 7' wide.
    I just couldn't see paying an extra $400 for what would amount to 1 3/4" on each side. Snow bear customer service says that they haven't had any problems due to the width of their 7' plows mounted on full sized trucks.

So I decided on the Sam's special...went up to the store, (Seabrook, NH), and wouldn'tcha know, they're out of them. So I had to go to Manchester, where the price was 100 bucks more. they wouldn't price-match it, either. but I figured it was still a good deal...way less than any other price I could find for the same thing.

So, now it sits in my father's garage, awaiting assembly, which I'll do this weekend. Haven't got the truck mounts, yet, so I may not be able to mount it to the truck.

19. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

20. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Northman - that's a nice looking jeep you got there... I hope my jeep lasts as long as yours...
    Nice looking? Whats you drinking lol. Now you done it, OLE RUSTY will probably never work for me again lol. Hence the nickname of the jeep RUSTY. Thanks anyways.