1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need a new tranny

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by CSRA Landscaping, Apr 25, 2001.

1. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping Junior Member

The tranny on my 91 F-350 is going out and I have a feeling if I tried to take it over 30 miles at one time the results may not be so great. I've found a junkyard that will sell me a very low-mileage one for $250 but I have no clue how to put it in. Anyone able to help?? What should I do? (It's a C6)

2. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

You should pick up a shop manual or a chiltons manual , it should show you what you need to do to get the old one out and the new one in.. I have done a few trannys and they are not all that hard, but you do need two people and some clothes to ruin.. c6 is an automatic right ? I know with the chevy autos its pretty much just parts changing, nothing to complicated.. Just dont forget to disconnect the shifter linkage before dropping the tranny...

3. SCAPEASAURUSREX

from NJ

By the way $250 sounds alittle cheap , is it a good working tranny or are they selling it to you as a rebuildable core, ?? may want to check some parts stores or mail order places that carry trannys...

4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

CSRA Landscaping, Where are you at? if close to N W Ohio I have a c-6 Cruse-o-matic you can have, it only has 15k on it .

5. erob914

erob914 Junior Member

tranny install

The hardest part of installing a ford trans is lining up the torque converter bolts and the bellhousing bolts at the same time.
    When you do this DO NOT USE THE BELHOUSING BOLTS TO PULL UP THE TRANS TO THE BLOCK. You can crack the bellhousing very easily. Make sure the bellhousing is flush with the block by manual pressure.
    Also, while tightening the first few bolts, make sure the torque converter doesn`t bind. Make sure it moves a little before you tighten the nuts that hold it to the flexplate.
    Make sure you dont pinch any wires between the bellhousing and block. You dont want to let the smoke out of any electrical components when you turn the key on.
    And while you are doing the trans it would be a good idea to replace the rear main seal and the trans front seal while you can get to them easily.

6. Toecutter

Toecutter Junior Member

C-6

$250 for a C-6 is good....the reason they're so cheap is that they're practically indestructible....I bought one a couple years ago for a project truck, the guy at the yard practically gave it to me because they hardly move 'em....

On the other hand, if you bought a truck with one of those Mazda 5 speeds, your in trouble....biggest piece of junk Ford ever put in a truck....

My 2 cents
    Phil

7. SCAPEASAURUSREX

from NJ

C-6

Anybody know if the C-6 is better or stronger than the E40D ?? and would it be a bolt in replacement?? work with E40d transfer case ?? I need to replace my E40D, just blew reverse and dont' really want to drop $2k to rebuild it , if I can get something that 's better for less /????? Thanks

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

problem is when your axle ratio is geared for the OD trans when you hook up a non-lockup 3 speed in front of say 4.56 axle forget your highway cruising and/or fuel economy.

9. SCAPEASAURUSREX

from NJ

Bill,

Check this out , the stupid truck only has 3:55 gears, what is up with that .. a 250 HD with that steep of a ratio.. according to the specs on the net at ford .com the highest should be 3:73.s and mine has the 8800 gvw package and that says it should be 4:11 ratio ?? I'm confused.. Think I need more than just a tranny upgrade now.. The truck only has 63K miles on it and has been serviced religiously.. Think the ratio has something to do with the trans failure ??? Thanks