1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need a new Battery or Alternator?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Hookem_9, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Hookem_9

Hookem_9 Junior Member

This fall I bought a 97 Chev K2500 to use as my primary plowing vehicle, in an attept to "Save" my 2005 Silverado. I just used it for the first time to plow my accounts, and I noticed early, that my Voltage gauge had dropped down to 9 volts. At the time, the plow was still functioning fine. One my last account, a small parking lot, the plow was getting a lot of use, and when I was nearly done, the voltage dropped off further, and the plow slowed to non funtion, and the radio cut out. I let the truck idle for a minute, and was able to raise the plow again, and headed home. When I shut the truck off, it wouldn't restart. I thru the charger on it, and let it charge for about 8 hours, and pulled the battery and get it tested at to different places, it tested "good". But wasn't at the CCA rating on the battery. Alternator? Battery? Is the battery to small? 675CCA Alternator not HD enough as it is stock? or Both?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Based on what you are saying, the alternator is OK.

You should have a Group 78 battery in that truck. A good one will have 800 CCA. Even if your battery tests OK, it still may not be adequate for heavy plowing.

You probably have a 100/105 amp alternator in that truck. You can plow with that if you are careful. But if you have strobes and extra lights you can tax it pretty quickly. 140 amp or bigger alternator, along with upgrading "The Big 3" wiring makes a huge difference.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Put a meter on the battery while running and see what the voltage is. Turn on lights, blower. And volts should not drop below 14.

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

also check condition of belt...it may be slipping when alt loads down

5. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

I run a 97 K-3500 and here's what I did , Installed an auxiliary 1,000CCA battery in addition to the 1,000CCA battery in the truck , up graded alternator to 135 Amp. Now I can run everything on the truck all night long with no problems . The Chevy dealer has a battery box for the other side of your truck for about $40.00 , You can pick up a battery at Wal-Mart for about $60.00 , and the Alt should be around $100.00 . It'll be one of your better investments , it doubles battery life , one of my batteries is 6 YO the other is 5 YO and still going strong .. Keeping all electrical connections clean and protected is a must too .

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Where do you get a 1000CCA battery for $60? Where do you even get a 1000CCA battery that will fit in the tray? What's the group number?

7. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Wal-Mart , 5 years ago . Group 24 .

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Better double check your numbers. No group 24 battery is rated for 1000 CCA.

9. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Shame on Me

Okay my numbers may not be right ! Maybe I tried to get a thousand and had to settle for less . What I did do was put as much battery power as I could , into my truck and upgrade my alternator ! Does that sound better 2COR517 , We're not talking rocket surgery here , for crying outdoors ! It's all acedemic here , we aren't getting enough snow to put in your eye . I retired from my profession last year , and this is going to be my last year of plowing . Most years are like this one , you don't plow enough to make a dime . If all I'm going to do is break even . Hell I can break even with out doing any plowing or truck maintainence , by just selling the stuff or giving it to my kid ! I have building a hot rod on my bucket list , might as well invest my time in something constructive and get on with that ! This is my 36th season , plowing snow !

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry, I'm a stickler when it comes to numbers and electricity in the same sentence.

11. dieselss

220 221 whatever it takes :laughing:

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Classic...:salute:

13. dieselss

Glad you got that :)

14. RIVERVIEW7

RIVERVIEW7 Member

Its the alternator I have a 1998 chevy 2500 i put the second battery in and upgrade the alternator. I have no problems since then.

15. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

Well Hookem 9 did you get this figured out.

16. Hookem_9

Hookem_9 Junior Member

Yes I did, Thank you for all the replies.
    I put the battery back in, and drove the truck down to the autoparts store. They retested the battery while on the truck in the process of testing the alternator. The alternator failed, "bad diode". The parts store person said that 140amp ALT is available, so I went that route, only to find out after in was bolted in the plug was different, it wasn't going to work. Had to go with the size it originally had in it. I put a new serpintine belt on at the same time. Just installed it all yesterday, and seems to run good. I haven't plowed with it to fully test it out yet though.

17. dieselss

Well good deal..