1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need A Little Input

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CountryBoy72, Jan 11, 2009.

1. CountryBoy72

CountryBoy72 Member

Which plow would you suggest ? It doesn't snow alot here but, when it does it can be vary from wet and heavy to dry and powdery. Right now I just do residential(100' - 400' + driveways) and family and friends. Good money to be made when it does snow though. They also use straight salt and the liquid. This is the first year I 've seen them use gravel. I lean to the Fisher SS, or the SnowDogg Mainly because they are Stainless. Western,Blizzard,Boss are all available too. There are no local dealers they are all a 2 hour ferry ride and hours drive away. So service is not an issue and all the dealers do installs. I'm looking for a plow that will be both efficient and durable. Straight blade,7.5' / 8' / 8.5', Don't need wings. I have a 2008 Chevy CC SRW LWB 4X4 Automatic. I also have a 97 F250 RC LWB 4X4 Diesel Manual. Not sure which one I will put it on.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

if you want to go stainless get whichever you can get parts for more easily. im assuming that will be fisher and 8ft should be good for residentials. as for trucks, its kinda a coin flip. the chevy has got to be long as hell and a pain to plow residential with and the ford is perfect except the manual trans. but being residential it shouldnt be too bad, not that many passes per job so the continuous shifting shouldnt drive ya too crazy. i would stick an 8ft X-Wing on that F250 if i were in your shoes. good luck :salute:

3. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I would take the Fisher over the Snowdogg mainly because I know no one that has a Snowdogg and Fisher has many years behind them, they are a great plow.

I agree with the previous post on plowing with the Ford (and I'm a chevy guy), you say the drives are 100' and longer so the standard tranny shouldn't bother you too much unlike plowing a small tight driveway.

I would choose a 8' or 8'6 Fisher straight blade or the Boss 8' trip edge plow, I prefer a trip edge over a full trip when plowing wet heavy snow like we get in atlantic Canada. Good luck with your pick.

4. CountryBoy72

CountryBoy72 Member

The nearest Boss Dealer is 12 hours away and so he's out of the question for install/patrs or service. I will have to give the guys a call in Vancouver and see how much they want for a Fisher SS X Blade.

5. CountryBoy72

CountryBoy72 Member

The 8' Western Poly Pro, Is it a full trip ?

6. CAT 245ME

I think so, just go to the Western plow site or just click on the western logo up top for more info.

Western is owned by the same company that owns Fisher and Blizzard, I've never run a western but I have heard good things about there products.

7. CountryBoy72

CountryBoy72 Member

It's been narrowed down to two plows a 8' / 8'5" Western Pro Plow or a 7'6" Western MVP Plus Poly. Stainless is to high of a cost to justify paying and Fisher is a 10% more above the Western. Western is a bigger seller in the market and parts are more readily available here. For what my intended use which one would be better ? Pros and Cons of the two styles ?. Thanks for your input.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  8. CAT 245ME

Have you decided which truck you are gonna put the new plow on?

9. CountryBoy72

CountryBoy72 Member

The Ford. Called the guy and it won't work with the Chevy.

10. CAT 245ME

The F250 will handle the 8'6" blade no problem, but a 7'6" plow is just to small for a F250. That size of plow is mainly for a half ton.

I have had 7'6" plows before and now I run an 8'2" Boss and I wouldnt want another plow any smaller than the 8'2".

11. CountryBoy72

CountryBoy72 Member

If I stay with the straight plow I can go to a 8'6" Plow and If I want a V Plow I have to go with a 7'6" MVP Plus. That's the biggest V according to Western's Quick Match. No Boss Dealers around here.

12. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

I would go with the straight 8'6" thee 7'6" plow would be to small

13. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

Dont go poly. Its heavyer and when it faids it faids. A steel Plow you can paint but not a poly. I have a five year old poly pro from western and it is starting to faid.

14. CountryBoy72

CountryBoy72 Member

Good to know thanks for the input Joesno. Just need to convince the Boss we need another plow. Two weeks after picking up the first one. Need a crystal ball to tell me how much it's going to snow this year and next. We can get No snow to 5-6+ good storms in a year. This has been the worst year since the storms of 96'. Wonder if this is the going to continue in the future ?.