1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need a little help

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Pert Snow, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Pert Snow

Pert Snow Member

(I posted this in the wrong spot the first time)Hey guys I wanna try 2 get a little bigger, although here in long island we've not had such great winters i wanna try. RIght now i do a condo complex and thats it. The super there does sidewalks and has his own plow sooo... I do make a great buck though. I wanna try to pick up some drives and some smaller parking lots. I am willing to do side walks and walkways with the drives. I do not have a sander, think this will affect my chances???? I used to have about 12-15 accounts for a sub but it was too much so i sold my truck and now i wanna get bigger . Any suggestions? (Note) I have 1 truck with a western and 1-2 other guys with there own plows. and 2 snowblowers. most likely my son is going to take over in a 2 or 3 years and I wanna start him on a good note.
    thanks u guys r great:salute:
  2. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Just my $.02. If you are going to plow commerical property, you should also be able to salt/sand it as needed.
  3. Pert Snow

Pert Snow Member

well some of my subs have sanders i personally do not i have a some recources wiht loaders and dumps becuase my cement companies have many since i am a general contractor
  4. Pert Snow

Pert Snow Member

so ne e one else have any ideas
  5. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Can you buy a tailgate spreader? then in time upgrade to a v-box. Or sub out the salting to someone
  6. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

I used to work for an excavation company, and we always had a least 5 commercial places that we used to salt/sand for other guys. It definitely cost a lot more to do that, then for them to do it themselves. I would think that if you are going to do a really big lot, where lots of people will be walking and parking, you should get your own salter. For the smaller places, have another guy do it, if you really don't want to buy one. But having the ability to salt will def improve your chances.

Try to look around and go into the places that you want to plow and ask for the managers, tell them want you do and ask them if you can submit a proposal. The worst that they can say is no. If they say yes, then you have already met them face to face and that is already one in your court. Does that help?
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Definitely do a market survey to determine the demand for salting before making any purchase. A few years ago, I decided there was room for a sander in my area. Bought a new V-box for $3800 and a used one ton for it to go on for $16,000. In five years, I didn't even make back the price of the sander. Big waste of $20,000. In retrospect, I should have done a better market analysis. The one good customer I had lined up didn't justify the expense.