1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need a little help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by tleffelman, Dec 17, 2012.

1. tleffelman

tleffelman Junior Member
    from il

got a question for you guys i just bought a newer plow truck to me its a 92 ford f350 dually with a 8 ft plow on it 7.3 diesel non turbo and a 10ft dump box now this truck is 2wd. what i am wondering is how much weight do i need to put in the back end of it or do you guys think its heavy enough and i don't need any weight in it. thanks

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

About 2000lbs should do it.

3. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I definitely think you're going to need weight. How much? Depends. I'd start out with 800-1000 lbs and see how it does. Maybe someone on here that has a similar rig will chime in.

An 8' on a dually is a little skinny, you'll be driving over the edge of your windrow at full angle.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I had an 8' on an 87 F-350 cab and chassis and it did fine. The rear axle is narrower than a PU dually.

I always put 1 ton of rock in that truck for traction and it did fine. Only other upgrade you might need is to put a limited slip or posi rear in it. Mine was an open carrier and it sucked when it was slick under the snow. Just took a bit to get it moving.

5. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

if your going to have a spreader on it use your salt as ballast. a pallet is 2450lbs if no spreader then go to your local concrete supplier buy 2 of the precast bunker blocks. that should solve all your problems

6. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Generally, a dual-wheel rear axle will require more ballast than a single-wheel rear axle since the same weight is spread out over twice the area. What you need for traction is high PSI, i.e, against the road (not inside the tire). The purpose of dual rear wheels is to LOWER PSI for handling huge loads, because a tire can only take so much without overheating and blowing its treads on the highway.

2000 pounds? Sure... at a MINIMUM.