1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need a little help, I think my fuel pump died

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by obrut, Mar 5, 2008.

1. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

2000 NBS GMC 2500 6.0L with 143000 miles.

Drove my truck home from work today and it sat for 3 hours. I had to run out so I jumped in the truck and started it. It started right up and I backed down the drive way, started driving up the street and the truck was having a hard time moving. When I pushed the gas I could here the engine backfire. It did this for about 1 minute and then took off fine. I got to the stop sign and it did the same thing. It would idle but if I pushed the gas it would start stalling out. I turned around and headed home but the truck eventually stalled and would not restart. I checked the valve on the fuel rail and nothing, just a little fuel leaking out but no pressure. I think it is the fuel pump and I have done a search and it seems like some have had some problems with the wiring to the fuel pump, what do you guy think?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Definitely sounds fuel delivery related.

Can you hear the pump run when you first turn the key to the run position?

Fuel filter lately?

3. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

fuel filter 20k ago, when I turn the key on I can hear something but it doesn't sound right almost like the pump was making a grinding sound.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

FP would be the likely candidate then. Wouldn't hurt to check the fuel pressure with an actual gage to double verify though.

5. 350-CHEVY

350-CHEVY Member

if you crawl under the truck and hit the tank while somebody trys to start it and it fires up its the fuel pump for sure if it doesnt it still could be but atleast if it works you can save a tow bill

6. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

My wife pulled me home with her jeep :(

Anyway I checked the fuses under the hood and the 15A fuse for TRL PRK was blown. I don't have any spares and I don't see any spare in the fuse block. Any ideas what this is? Never mind its for the trail lights.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  7. yancy

yancy Senior Member

its the fuel pump and I would pull the bed off when you replace it its easer.

8. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

Just went out there and had my wife try starting the truck while I punch the bottom of the tank with my hand. The truck started, ran for a few seconds then died. I punched it again and it started and ran for a few seconds and died again. So it is probably going to be the fuel pump then. I did some more searching and it looks like this is going to cost some money for the pump. Seems like the way to do it is to remove the bed or raise the drivers side to get the pump out, shouldn't be to hard.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thats the easiest way. I can change one in less than an hour by pulling the bed.

Never pull the tanks off/down.

10. yancy

yancy Senior Member

there expensive because If I remember correctly they are integrated with the sending unit now

11. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

Thanks for the help guys, now I need to find a good price on a delco pump.

yancy, we keep posting at the same time. BTW your truck looks just like mine.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Figure around $250-$300 for a Delco...

13. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

B&B thats what I kind of figured.

I had a 94 fullsize blazer before and the fuel pump went out, I replaced it with one from the autoparts store. Dropped the tank and replace the pump, the new one turned out to be bad as well. Returned it and went and bought a delco, put it in and never had a problem again. Since I don't feel like taking the bed off twice I think I will just get the delco and be done the first time.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Money well spent. :)

15. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Replace the fuel filter right away as well and keep reciepts for any warrenty (filter must be changed to not void warrenty).. Also make sure none of the pins on the fuel pump connector are burned.. They may even give you a new connector to wire in..

16. yancy

yancy Senior Member

I am surprised that you have not had problems with the sending unit yet with that many miles on it. mine reads low fuel when I have a full tank or if it has sat for a day or so.