1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need a little help from the pros...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by the dude, Nov 3, 2003.

1. the dude

the dude Junior Member

Hi Everybody! (hi, dr. nick!)

My wife and I just bought a house this summer with a long driveway to a tuck-under garage. I've decided to get a two-stage snowblower (ariens 7hp) since I have to go up a steep hill to get to the front sidewalk.
    But my question is this:
    The other day I was outside, and the lady that lives next door asked what our snow-removal plans were. I told her I was going to get a blower, and she asked if I would be interested in doing her driveway and walks as well. She said she had a service she had used for awhile, but was upset about some damage done last winter. I'm not opposed to the idea, and could use a little extra money. But how much do I charge for something like that?

And I just have to say, this site is fantastic. I started looking around here to find info on snowblowers, but you guys make me want to throw a plow on the front of my pickup and learn to plow! Thanks for all the great information.

:)

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

how long is the driveway and the walk

how many steps

find out what kind of damage was done previously

whats the driveway made out of?

cardoctor

3. the dude

the dude Junior Member

hmmm...yeah, i suppose it would've helped if i'd given that info.

The driveway is about 70' long, asphalt. i don't think steps would be an issue; she has a tuck-under garage, too, and only a couple steps on the front of the house.

she's on the corner lot, so she has sidewalk on two sides...probably 180'-200' total.

not sure what the damage was; i didn't ask, but probably should.

thanks again.

4. WOOFSPLOW

WOOFSPLOW Member

Be careful! She may be very picky when it comes to "damage". Also, if you accept $$ (even if you don't) you may be held liable if she has a slip & fall. Overall it may not be worth it. Good luck.:D

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

she lives on the corner so you know the township trucks willbe packing the snow against the curb.

i live on a corner property and its a pita after the slush freezes to

remove it

i think i would say thanks but no thanks

you have to live next to this lady
    do you want her banging on your door or calling you at all hours

hell no!

cardoctor:nono: :nono:

6. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

If i were in your situation i would be Leary about doing any removal of snow for anyone if i was getting paid for it unless i had the proper snow removal insurance. most of the professional snow plowers like my self carry ins. to cover us if there is a claim arising from slip/fall and or just normal damage. being in a society where suing someone is very commonplace you could be leaving yourself open to getting sued for all you have if there were an incident. the other option i can think of if you really want to do this is if you do have the time to spend doing snow removal see about the proper ins. and work on getting enough customers to pay for your costs and make a profit. but thats just my opinion.

7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

good lord, if you are out doing yours and do hers too. if she gives you any money say thanks for the tip and go home. who the hell is going to buy insurance for snowblowing the neighbors drive? surely you didnt have insurance when you went around shoveling for candy money..... I know I didnt. now days any flag downs I say I am not liable for anything that happens, and make them sign the notepad that is pre printed with my waiver.... no sign no clear drive

8. the dude

the dude Junior Member

thanks for the replies...

nate, that's more in line with my thinking, I guess. I'm not looking to start a business here; that's not something I have the time or the inclination for. I just figured since she asked, I'd try to give her an educated answer.

it's snowing here in minneapolis right now...about an inch so far today, but most of it's just melting on the ground. coming up quick, though...