1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need a little advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ScnicExcellence, Sep 15, 2008.

1. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

I have done a bit of plowing before and have heard diferent opinions on this subject.

When doing residential driveway should i

A: Push a bit in the driveway so i don't drive over it and compact it down.

B: Drive in drop the blade and drag it back not worring about any compacted snow under me from driving on the snow before plowing it.

The reason being is that some people say that you should not push in and then drag out cause the snow can shift when heavy and deep and in turn pushing the garage door in.(seems right to me)

Also though why i ask is that if the snow is only shallow and i don't think it has a risk of doing that should i push the snow in first then drag it out to avoid leaving snow behind from being compacted before back draging it.

Any help! Thank you.

If you could explain answers it will help me understand more.
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

This is one of the questions experience helps with. Unfortunately its not a science as much as an art form. It depends on type of snow, plow, back drag edge or not......
    light and fluffy ...... backdrag
    deep snow ....... backdrag piece at a time
    wet snow ..... 1" push in then backdrag But beware you can end up with 1 foot high pile
    of snow that you cant backdrag out! or backdrag a piece at a time.

If they have a 3 car garage I plow left and right in front of it (I use a jeep for driveways;))
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Also depends if you can push up the driveway and off to the side. Then you only need to back drag a little from the garage door.And depending if the street plows came by or not ,clean the approach first.
  4. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Its seems like most of the guys on this site go with the approach of pushing the snow to the side, then back dragging in-front of the garage doors! Then they will pack that! Good luck, as it takes alot of finesse to plow a driveway!

Here is a pic from a ps member stroker79 i think he demostrated my description well!
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

He backdragged the drive first then pushed it to the side. That is what it looks like to me.
  6. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

Well i will be pushin the snow to the side after backdraging.

Also when the city has gone by already i will first push the pile up at the end of the drive then back drag and then push that to the side.