1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need a harness of some kind for solenoid style pump

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by shadow, Jan 21, 2012.

1. shadow

shadow Junior Member
    from iowa

Hello all;

I need some help on what harness I need. I have been running the old cable operated pump and just made a deal with a guy for a unit that looks about the same but has solenoids on the pump housing. (He says they are much better.) He also has a hand held control that looks like part # 56462. He does not have any wire harnesses though.

I have been trying to look at the different manuals and am getting lost. I don't know if the pump is a conventional or unimount. They look the same in the manuals. The conventional manual shows a different controller that is box shaped. The manuals that show the hand held controller show big wire harnesses that have connections for all the truck lights.

I will be putting the unit on a 1977 or 1994 gmc truck. I have the plow light wired by themselves to a switch so I don't need a harness for that or the truck lights.

Is there a simple harness that goes from the hand held controller to the relay and the pump? And if so, does anyone know the part number?

I called some local dealers but without a model number on the pump they can't help me. The label is gone on the pump so I have nothing to go on number wise.

I am thinking I should have stayed with the cable operated design.
  2. Oxmow

Oxmow Senior Member

have pictures?
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If the new plow has a cable on it you will want to match up to that. It could be 7, 9 or 12 pin. On this system the lights and the controls are combined into one plug. I just rigged up a plow a few days ago that was a similar situation. He had no lights on the plow and didn't need them so wanted just a simple hookup with controls only. The nice thing about the relay harness is that you don't have to have the lights hooked up for the controls to work. Here are some numbers... if you have 7 pins on your plow plug you need the 62502, if you have 9 pins you need 61437, the 12 pin comes in two versions 61557 and the other says it has large pins (not sure what that means) part number 62522. Hope that helps. I agree with the guy about the electricaly controlled unit being more reliable. Cable plows are old technology and they need too much tinkering to keep them running. Hard to get parts for too. They were a good in their day but then again so were steam engines.... and you know how that went... Here is a link to the mechanic's guide for the Isarmatic mark IIIa electric plow. IIIa is the electric or solenoid controlled and the III is cable operated. http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/13523_080092.pdf
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  4. shadow

shadow Junior Member
    from iowa

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have pics of the unit because I still have to finish paying for it to get it. It does look like the unit in the pdf, minus the cover over the circle solenoids, and the controller looked like this one. There are no cables at all with the pump. It does look like I need a different relay-solenoid as mine has only 3 connection points instead of the 4 points needed in the pic.

I saw this on a site and it shows a harness for the pump and another for the solenoid. The last pic is from the pdf and it looks like a single harness to connect everything.
    The numbers for the harnesses in the pic are (#30) 21294 and (#37) 61169

I am assuming that I can run any type of pin number harness( 7, 9 or 12) because I would need everything so I don't have to stay with one type. On the parts diagram, it doesn't show where the controller connects.On the PDF it looks like just one harness would be required but it doesn't have a number.

I tried searching the number you gave on the parts website and they didn't match anything there. I will try searching online for those numbers.
  5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

The harness you are looking for is a 56307. You would also need the adapter from the old black plug on the harness to the newer white plug on your 56462 control. that's a part number 62392. We stock both at Truck Equipment Inc in Des Moines IA, or you can check distributors closer now that you have the part numbers.

Neal Redding
    parts mgr, Truck Equipment Inc, 800-373-2887