1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need a front end boost

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by SIPLOWGUY, Jan 10, 2005.

1. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

A buddy of mine has a 2001 Dodge 2500 with a Blizzard plow. The front end sags alot with the plow and the rear springs were boosted. I can't find aftermarket springs for the truck. I was thinking of trying springs from a 3500. Anybody got ideas?

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

you could install Timbrens or depending on what srpings are in it (the spring number) install heavier factory springs. The 3500 springs should be the same as the 2500 diesel springs (#46 I think) Timbrens are cheaper by far.

3. Ian

Ian Member

A couple of options from cheap to very expensive. Timbrens are the simplest and least expensive and in some ways better. The top of the coil springs rest in the upper spring mount. This mount is one of the weak spots. Some have broken off from the truck frame. 1 tons and diesels after 98 have a reinforced spring mount to help with this. Using higher rated coil springs still puts the stress on the upper mounts. By using the timbrens some of the load gets put directly on the bottom of the frame rail where the original axle bump stop is located.
    The heavy coil springs are still a viable option and I believe the numbers are 047 and 048 (right and left sides are different). They are a pain to change.
    Something new and probably expensive is a rubber air bladder that completely replaces the coil spring. You can check it out at keldermanmfg.com. This is the way to go if you want the best. They make a real slick system for the rear axle as well.
    My 3500 with the diesel engine drops 1/2 inch when plow is raised and I have done nothing as yet. 7.5 western uni w/prowings.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  4. MSC

MSC Member

Save yourself a lot of grief, go to www.summitracing.com
    The springs you want are Skyjacker 2.5" lift front springs.
    I put a set in my 97 Dodge 2500 xtra cab longbed Diesel.
    I hang a 9'plow on it and it has been fine for the past 2 years.
    I don't want to start a war here, but why would you want to put a set of timbrens on a truck that already has a weak set of front springs?
    All you are doing with timbrens is putting in a bigger bumpstop.
    The springs are easy to install, I did them myself in about 1.5 hours, both sides. They also work with factory length shocks. These are the springs this truck should have had from the factory.

5. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I installed new springs today. I went with the 52039047 and 52069048 springs from Chrysler. It made a major differance! My buddy called me 10 minutes after he left and said this was the way to go. :)

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:drinkup: good move!! you'll like the new springs .I did the same thing my self on my 98 2500 #48\#47's, the after market lift your truck springs do not work for plowing, and timbrens just cover up an underlying problem.

7. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

New springs

Hey SIPLOWGUY
    I can't thank you enough for putting in the 47/48 springs in the truck. I really feel it has made a tremendous difference. Just leaving your driveway I didn't even scrape the ground. When i pulled in, you probably heard me. The truck really feels like it has leveled out. I don't have the measurements but it was a difference. It doesn't feel like I'm going to scrape the frame for every dip in the road. For those of you w/ this same problem, just put in these springs. Not the timbrens, not the aftermarket, just the 47/48 replacing the originals is the way to go. THANKS Mike,
    Regards Jack

8. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

You are very welcome Jack! It's been my pleasure to have helped you! :)

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

JUST FYI The diesel's already have the 47/48's- there is no factory spring stronger- Timbrens, the lifted springs, or the complete airbag front end are the ONLY options for Diesels.
    (I have seen a complete front airbag replacement system for Dodges but I don't know who made it- still working on it.)

10. jsr2741

jsr2741 Junior Member

11. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Hey guys here is a heads up. The L/S spring practically falls out, the R/S spring is a little tough. I think the relationship to the "pumpkin" being closer to the L/S makes the driveshaft hold up the R/S a little. Overall, not a bad job.

12. dodge rammin

dodge rammin Member

I have a Ram 1500 that sagged big time when I put my Western plow on it this year. Went to the salvage yard and found a Ram 3500 with a diesel and robbed the coil springs off the front, now when I lift the plow it drops maybe and inch. It only takes about 45 mins to switch the new springs over and canbe easily done by yourself. Works great for me. Plow weighs about 720 pounds, I don't know how much yours weighs. Just my two cents.

13. Bayrat

Bayrat Junior Member
    from usa

I am surprised to hear it dropped that much. My Blizzard drops the front end of my 2002, 2500 exactly and inch. I have 600# over the rear axle.

14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

remember too they make 2 gvwr versions of the 2500- the HD is 8800Lbs the SD is like 7400Lbs (I think- I know it's less than 8000lbs.)