1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need a dodge truck, suggestions??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by snowlovr, Feb 9, 2012.

1. snowlovr

snowlovr Junior Member

I have a 2007 dodge 2500 5.9 diesel that has been a real lemon for me. electric problems, trans and... Dont want to give up on the Dodges and truck shopping in morning. wanted to just put the boss 8"-2 V plow on another truck. Want an extended cab or 4 door 2500. Question is Gas or Diesel ? and is there anything else I should consider or look for. Just joined the site today and find it really helpful, so thanks in advance.

2. snowlovr

snowlovr Junior Member

p.s. I am looking for something older, maybe early 2000 ??

3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 2003 Dodge that was the same sort of issues electrical, transmission etc... nothing but issues.

I personally would switch brands of truck, I have owned my last Dodge truck when I sold that 2003

4. snowlovr

snowlovr Junior Member

I thought of that, have many friends who have the Dodges though and they have no issues. one did have the same 2nd gear issue but everyone that has one loves theres and has no issues. So thought I just found a bad apple :( Was going to give them another try.

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

They all have issues. I manage a fleet of 7,000+ cars over 2 states, basically every make and model available today (minus the exotics). I can tell you right now, they will all have problems and the newer you get the more electrical they get. Stupid things like turn signals are handled by a computer now, not a simple relay, and when they don't talk to each other (computers) and play nice, it wreaks havoc.

Example - at my office our plow truck is a 2008 Chevy 2500HD w/boss 7'6" Superduty trip edge plow, we've gone through 3 computers on it, a wheel bearing, and ball joints. It has 25k miles on it and is used for plowing our lot 99% of the time and sometimes moving salt into our storage bin (also on our lot). It leaves to get gas down the road (the other 1%).

6. snowlovr

snowlovr Junior Member

WOW, thats a lot of trucks. guess you are the man to know what works and what doesn't. I thank you again for your impute today, I really appreciate the time you have given me.

7. plowguy43

Not a problem, anytime - the fleet isn't just trucks, nice mix of cars, suv's, etc. We are licensed by GM/Ford/Chrysler to do warranty work and PDI'ing on them as well. Been doing it for about 10 years so I've certainly seen a good amount of issues between the generations of vehicles and honestly can say they are all very nice trucks. The new model's you can't go wrong with any of the big 3, they've come a long way.

8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Go find yourself a 1998 Ram/Cummins. You get the benefit of the nicer interior and a 12valve Thumbs Up. If I had my choice in trucks thats what it would be. I would take it over my 06 if I could find one with SUPER low miles and as clean as my 06.

On a side note my '06 has never been back to the dealer since I have owned it... 6years now. Truck only has 40k on it but it runs perfect. Interior is ugly as balls but it runs when I need it to.

9. tjdozerman

tjdozerman Member

I agree with most of these guys. Any truck no matter the brand is going to have problem at some point. With that said, sense 94 I have owned 9 dodge ctd trucks with every truck going well over 100,000 miles. Did lose one trans but other then that any problems I had was caused mostly by the abuse myself and my guys put them thru.

10. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

I have owned all 3, im on my 5th dodge and will never go back to a ford or chevy.. My dodges have been great to me! The key to dodges is maintenance, the majority of the people with trans problems dont do maintenance as they should! Out of all of my dodges, Ive never lost a trans.. You'll have problems with any truck if you use and abuse it, and dont take of it. Anybody that would tell you to ditch your cummins, and go buy a ford diesel is absolutely clueless.

11. captshawn

captshawn Senior Member

^^^^Thats why we need a like button^^^^^

12. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

sorry to hear about your troubles. I have had very good luck with dodges, my 07 has been a great truck, i have never expierenced any kind of electrical issue, or transmssion problems other than the 1-2 shuttle shift which is pretty common but very easy to fix.

13. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I am going to be selling my 1999 3500 after winter. I just don't want to carry the burden of another truck. I rather just sub the work. The plow has only been on it this year. I bought it in the fall no plow ever. I have pics to prove it. It has only plowed 1 storm so far. Let me know if you are interested.

14. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of electricial issues are you having?? My 06 too has had its share of electricial gremlins but not to the lemon status. Sometimes is is fustrating having issues, they will cause a lack of confidence in the vehicle. But perhaps there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

If you can get over the looks a 12valver truck will be hard to beat. Actually easy to beat on but hard to break. (other than the trans)

15. plowguy43

What cab and bed length is it? Mile's? and what are you looking to get for it? I'm contemplating selling my V10 in the spring as well in hopes to get a similar year Diesel. If you prefer PM that is fine.

Thanks

16. snowlovr

snowlovr Junior Member

Well it started with the back up lights going out, then went to the headlights. The low beams do not work and only have lights when on bright. Was told it is the modular (?) fuse box under hood. I am definatly at the point that I dont trust it. Just had a friend take it to the shop to look at transmission for that issue.

17. snowlovr

snowlovr Junior Member

Well it started with the back up lights going out, then went to the headlights. The low beams do not work and only have lights when on bright. Was told it is the modular (?) fuse box under hood. I am definatly at the point that I dont trust it. Just had a friend take it to the shop to look at transmission for that issue.

18. james.j.smith

james.j.smith Senior Member
    from 19033

what is the fix for the 1-2 shuttle?

19. snowlovr

snowlovr Junior Member

OK, here is my dodge update, had a very good friend that works at a dodge dealer and has all the right tools. My trans lost second during a storm and after it sat out a day and cooled off, things seemed fine. What he did was flushed the trans, new filter and tightened the belts. then reprogrammed the computer and all is good. my electrical issue he swapped one back up bulb and reprogrammed something and all is good there to. What happened to the good old days where there was no computer? was much easier to figure out. So all my issues cost me the buddy deal at 200 bucks. Woohooo!! back to loving my Dodge again

20. plowguy43

Great to hear