1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need a Big Sander

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bighammer, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

I want a V box (I think) for my 3/4 ton HD Cummins Ram. I have property on a seasonal road (gona build next year so I have a season to "practice") and may be plowing/maintaining a mile or more. (why I'm thinking v box) I also don't like that added length that a "tailgate" spreader adds.

Any suggestions? What do you like, not like, what to look for etc.?

Thanks guys

2. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

You will still have length to deal with because the chute on the v-box will stick off the back of your truck about the same amount as a tailgate spreader. I have a steel guard around mine to protect it from being backed up into things. The V-Box is great if your doing alot of volume. I also have a tailgate spreader for sidewalks.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I think you're 2500 will be overloaded with a full Vbox. It'll handle it, though. To start with, the most important thing to my way of thinking is a reliable motor that will start from inside the cab and not give you trouble in operation. I highly recommend the Honda that comes on the Fisher Pro Caster (perhaps as an option). Second choice would be the Tecumseh. I try not to bad-mouth products, so I'll stop there. If you're planning on sanding/salting for the long term, go for the stainless steel. I should have, but at the time, I wasn't sure I was going to be sanding for more than five years. If you're using any salt, keep the box and especially any moving parts clean and lubed in the off-season. Plan where you're going to store the Vbox and how you're going to get in on and off the truck. Are you going to keep your own pile or do you have a supplier of bulk sand/salt? Are you planning to maintain your own road only or do any others'?

4. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

I just had a 1.7 yd. 7' Fisher procaster installed in my F-250 last week. I went with the stainless steel with the Techumsa engine. I would have liked to have gone with the Honda engine, but I had all I could do to ante up for the stainless steel. I'm a little worried about being overloaded, but I figure I can load up to a yard at a time. We use salt/sand mix so it's heavier than straight salt. I did install a set of Timbrens. We are due for a new truck next year, so we may go with an F-350.

5. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

For someone who only uses it for his own property, I think the electric Trynex would be ideal. I have the V8000, and it is sweet. Very easy to hook up, light for easy on and off of the truck, simple to operate, much less susceptable to corrosion, no gas and motors to mess with, etc. I have quite often used it on smaller lots, and just loaded it with bagged magic. When I needed to use bulk, I could.

aaaplowsite.jpg

6. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

I think the Trynex looks like the ticket if I go with a v box. I like the idea of electric rather than gas engine. Less noise & maintenance I would guess.

Maybe I should consider the rear bin type like a Buyers tailgate spreader. I don't have any concept of how far that will go and how often I'll be filling it. Also would it do sand/salt mix? We can buy in bulk here and get loaded in town or have a pile dumped.

I'm also not sure about having a big load of sand sitting in my truck long term. OK for the tires, springs, etc? Of the whole stretch of road, only a few hundred feet are level so I may end up using a good bit of sand though.

It will be interesting to see how this works out. I haven't run a plow in about 20 years. The road is a little better than one lane width, winds up a steep hill in the woods, and has some drop-offs at some edges and 6-8' high banks in other places. I'm also considering a PTO snowblower for my old Farmall tractor because there are some places where there's no place to push the snow except down the road. (fine as long as it's downhill and not too deep:D )

7. PINEISLAND1

You might get by with less than a full load , but you only want to load as much as you will spread that day, in any spreader. The salt will cake up and not spread if you leave it in overnite. So, if you only need 1 yard, then just load that at a time. However, with over a mile of road, at 10 feet wide, thats over an acre of pavement. (52,800 sq ft) You may use 1000 lbs plus, depending on the temps, shading, etc.

The tailgates are great, if you can get by with 500-1000 lbs per treatment. Especially if you are just spot treating the bad spots. If you need to load it more than that with the bags, it gets old quick. There are a few that will spread sand and salt, (2 stage), but they are almost as much as a v box.

We have used and loved the Western 1000, but it will not do sand, and it is about $1200.00.

8. PINEISLAND1

9. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

I'm sorry, I should've made the clarification, I want to spread a sand/salt mix. The local concrete company mixes just enough salt into sand to keep the sand from freezing and getting clumpy. I can be loaded there or have it delivered and dumped in a pile.

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Then you will definately want a two-stage tailgate or Vbox. There are some model of Vbox that come with a 6 or 4 foot box. DownEaster is one that I'd recommend looking into. The only problem I found with them was that they only offered the Briggs and Stratton motor (that was two years ago). PINEISLAND1's recommendation of the Trynex would still be good. I'd go for a Vbox, personally, because a two-stage tailgate will be almost as much anyway.

11. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Bighammer, I have the Tyrnex v pro 8000 and a Bradford ss 1 yard v box. I like them both and they both have there strong points.If i were spreading on a road with sand,and the psreadr was staying in the truck,I would choose the conventional v box with a conveyor chain.I do not spread sand,but it cannot spread salt fast enough for roads.If speed isnt important you should like the trynex,it is IMO the better spreader if you pull the spreader out after storms,since the truck stays so clean and it s easy to pull it out and put it in. I have heaped my trynex full with salt,and the boss plow on the front the truck sits about level,it touches the overloads on any bump you can feel them touch,but the truck handles it good.I fill it about 1/2 way for ballast if im plowing usually.

12. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

Bighammer,
    I'd go with the v-box over the tailgate. Easier to load.

procaster1.jpg

13. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

I think the threads titled wrong with those little v boxes.

spreader 2.jpg

14. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

However with this one, I can fill it heaping full of salt. It could use a little more spring in the back, but it handles it fine.

Engine choice, having both the Honda and the Techumsa, get the Honda. Also the stainless steel is another pluss, the chain and bearing are about the only thing to fail or rust away.

BTW this spreader with hd top screen is 1003#

white dodge reg cab plow n v box.jpg

15. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

Well the snow is almost here and I still haven't decided. :eek: A few too many decisions. :dizzy: