1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need a ballpark figure on this one

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by srl28, Nov 1, 2011.

1. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

We have the year round maintenance contract on this facility and were invited to take over the snow after this past "freak" storm where 95% of guys in my area weren't quite prepared. They have been very happy with our other services and while its not exactly a name your own price type deal, money is not a huge issue.

No sidewalks need to be shoveled or salted as their inside maintenance guy takes care of that, just need a per push price for the lot.

http://www.google.com/maps?ll=41.07516,-74.670631&spn=0.001072,0.003259&t=k&z=19&vpsrc=6

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

$60 per push no salt
    $85 per w/salt

3. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Really? only 20 bucks for salt? Thats way low, for our area at least. Thanks for the input though

4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

$25 for salt!

5. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

$80-100 plow up to 3" (hard to see if landscaping along sides and other obstructions).
    $.40/lb to salt.

6. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

175-200 plow. 150 to salt

7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You stated that they were doing the walks. That is a pretty small lot. No more then 20 mins. to plow and maybe 100-150 lbs of salt. I stand by my suggestion if you want to win the bid. Thumbs Up

Bid a gabizzilion bucks if you wish. :rolleyes:

8. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Just saying, if we used bagged salt for the lot at roughly 5 bucks a bag, 3 bags equals 150lbs thats 15 bucks. Your saying just 10.00 left over after materials so to speak? Thats why some are nit picking that.

9. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

It always amazes me how much prices vary. You're talking four times the amount difference. Not saying anyone is high or low, just amazes me.

10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

It is not the customers fault you use bagged salt. He is looking for the most reasonable price. Someone using bulk will come in at the price I stated and make money.

Do you then call that guy a lowballer because he is being more cost effective? :confused:
    You also take the risk that if he see's you are using bagged then looking at your invoice saying to himself, I use bagged for the walks and can buy a few more cheaper then what you are charging and have his guy do the lot as well.

Sometimes you have to take a smaller step in life to get further ahead. Thumbs Up

11. Blades Away

Blades Away Junior Member

Your looking at about a half acre lot. A little less. Maybe 20 min. if it is clear. Take what you want to charge per hour, take into account travel time from other locations. 20. min is a third of an hour If you know what you have to have to operate then base your plow cost of that. Salt cost, we try an get 2.5 to 3 times what we pay for salt including transport cost. I am not sure how much salt is in your area. Just dont cut your own throat.

12. gkm

gkm Senior Member

I do a similar size lot get $300.00 per storm salt included. it is a area i plow in so travel is no big deal usually plow once with one touch up during strom, some times very little salt needed. if storm is over 6" i charge and extra $100.00
    good luck