1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need 2nd Truck Help Me Pick

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by EGLC, Jul 28, 2009.

Which Truck

1. 2005 Chevy 2500hd - 2WD

4 vote(s)
  2. 1999 Ford F250 - 4WD

19 vote(s)
  1. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

Guys help me pick between these two trucks.....I have a landscape business and need a 2nd truck BADLY.

2005 Chevy 2500HD - 2WD - 23K miles, extra cab, 8' Western, 8' bed insert - $12,000

1999 Ford F-250 - 4WD - 36K miles, regular cab, 8' fisher - $8,000
  2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If the Chevy was 4wd I would say get that, but you realy need 4wd when your plowing IMO. I like the plow on the F-250 better to.
  3. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

Ford - 4x4.....
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Frankly, those trucks aren't even similar. Six years difference in age, 2wd vs 4wd, Reg cab vs. ext cab, and GM vs Ford (if that's important to you). The consensus is that dealers are dying to make sales, and vehicle choices are high. I would start by asking the most important question, 2wd or 4wd? Plowing in a 2wd is fine if you have the right accounts and driver. Do you NEED an extended cab? If you do, that's OK, but if not, then take an EC if the rest of the deal makes sense. Then, what's your budget? If you don't care about brand (truck or plow), you should be able to get one heck of a deal. Things like ext cabs, leather seats, power windows, blah blah blah are all bonus at this point.
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

For me I would pass on both of those. I wouldn't rely on a 2wd to plow unless you run it loaded and I wouldn't load a 2500 and plow. I don't think the older Fisher plows scrape packed snow very well. That is from experience and not Brand bashing.

Keep looking, lots to pick from. I would get something that hadn't plowed before.
  6. jdo150

jdo150 Member

I would say the ford with the money diff between the ford and chevy you could buy a insert for that truck and a salter etc.. and it has low miles on it plus its a 4x4. Just wondering what motor was in the 250 I would bet a 5.4. i have a buddy who has a 99 250 with a 5.4. he plows with it and has a salter in it and he beat the crap out of that truck and it has 120,000 on it and still goes.
  7. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

if you plow then get the 4x4

if you dont need to plow then get the 2 wheel drive
  8. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

What about this truck,

2000 Ford F350 XL 4x4
    40K miles, 8' bed, regular cab
    Never Plowed, No AC
    Fleet vehicle

9. mercer_me

Out of the three that sounds like the best IMO.
  10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Where do you find these truck? That is cheap IMO.
  11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

He's from NJ. If you don't mine some bullet holes in it!:gunsfiring:
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Nine year old fleet truck with only 40K? I'm guessing there's a 1 or 2 missing somewhere. I wouldn't be in a huge hurry to buy a fleet truck. Most guys making 10-15 bucks an hour aren't particularly careful with the company's truck.
  13. tinffx

tinffx Member

How are you going to keep the fog off the windows without AC? I hate having to wipe the fog off every 10 minutes.
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Most of us use the defrost setting. It's standard equipment on most vehicles.
  15. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

x2 Hahahaha :p
  16. mercer_me

LOL :dizzy:

Ya, the defrost works pritty good. It's alot warmer to.:)
  17. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

well it doesnt have bullet holes hahaha ;) and the upside to a fleet truck is no matter what it needs it gets attention to it. price isnt an issue.....maintenance is done on time and the mileage is correct. it was used as a shop truck, I carfaxed it and it comes up clean.