1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need 04 ram 1500 help

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by getsum, Jan 2, 2012.

1. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

Ok I'm getting ready to tear apart the rear diff to change oil, add whale oil and check for metal pieces/ shavings on my 2004 ram 1500 5.7 because of the rear shuddering so bad. ANYWAY i noticed my automatic belt tension er is rattling yet again and has alot of movement while the truck is running and more so when the ac compressor pump added load.. i JUST replaced the tension er maaaaaybe 3 months ago. WHY is it eating tensioners? all the pullys were done when i did the tension er.. belt looks like it isn't quite cut true but i don't know why it rattles and moves so bad already. any advice would be great guys thanks! :help:

2. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

New belt when you did tensioner? Could have just been a bum tensioner from the start. If it has a warranty return it for another.

3. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

New belt when you did tensioner? Could have just been a bum tensioner from the start. If it has a warranty return it for another.

4. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

thats the only thing i didnt replace because it seemed in great condition. im going to do a new belt and swap the tensioner this week and hope it works

5. WILLD420

WILLD420 Junior Member

If your belt is made crooked, it will wipe the bearings out in the tensioners first, then work it's way through everything else. All those bearings are meant for the primary load to be straight up and down, not side to side.

If you have the Mopar limited slip and it's shuddering, watch for broken springs and parts when you take it apart. The trac loks are famous for falling apart. That's why mine has a tru-trac detroit in it now.

6. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

ya its definately not 100% true and thanks a million for the advice! might wait untill the temps warm up from 20 degrees lol im going to look up the tru-trac

7. WILLD420

WILLD420 Junior Member

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTL-913A368/

If you are looking for seamless behavior this is the one. You have to do something wrong to get the rear end to slide around on ice or slick surfaces. Not too good if you are doing hard core wheeling, but it works great for everything else.

8. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

make sure your AC system is filled and oiled correctly, if it is placing a heavy load on the belts it can wipe a belt and tensioner.

Best of luck with the rear! As others have said, don't go stock if you have to replace it.

9. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

thanks a mil guys. waiting to tear it apart for a day or so. its 2 outside at the moment lol

10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Like mentioned, the rear limited slips lose the c-clips and Chrysler knows about it yet won't warranty it. Its all over other message boards. Go aftermarket when replacing it - personally I'd get one on order before you even drop the pan.

11. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

thats what i was thinking because with my luck if i drop it and then order it we will get a storm b4 it gets here lol