1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Neat Strobe lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MikeO, Jan 14, 2004.

1. MikeO

MikeO Junior Member

I saw a pretty cool thing yesterday on the way home from work. there was a Ford Excursion plowing a gas station but the really interesting thing was that his normal backup lights were strobe lights that were very bright. It was still daylight and I was across 3 lanes of traffic and the stobe actually caught my attention. I wonder where he got those.
  2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

galls.com strobesupply.com

they are called hideaway strobes
  3. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

i have them, i put them in my red stop lights vs. the reverse white light, i like the red look a little better...:)
  4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

In the state of Michigan unless you are a volunteer firefighter, or a cop, you cant have flashing red or blue on your truck or car. If you plow, the only color you can have is amber. :D :D
  5. ShannonS

ShannonS Member
    from IOWA

I wonder if they make those for my F350 superduty, would like to be seen.:waving:
  6. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

The hidden strobes will mount on just about any vehicle, if not every vehicle......

7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Where did you buy them,I want to do the same thing,but the only guy I can find is Monroe Equiment in Flint.I live in Waterford.

Cost 550.00 Turn signial and backup strobes plus the cab monted brakelight. They are going to use the factory switch on my dash.

Regards Mike
  8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

goto ebay and do a search one them. Stay away from the cheap ones. Stay with the name brand stuff...Rob
  9. jscott

jscott Junior Member

10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

wiring for them is easy
  11. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

I have and use Whelen hideaway strobes. I have had excellent luck with the Whelen products.
  12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You can't go wrong with Whelen products! We have 40 ambulances with all Whelen lights and it's rare a bulb is even out. The power supplies last forever.
    Buy the highest watt system you can afford. The more watts the brighter the flash's. I see police cars all the time that have low power systems that you just can't see well. Strobes are low amp draw too.
  13. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

just picked up4 sets of 4 strobes,the whelen 90 watt 6 outlet kit for the trucks and one set for the show truck.Got them on ebay new with warrenty for 189 a set,locally were over 400$.
  14. Not to be a bearer of bad news, but i would HIGHLY recommend looking into your laws, like one other poster said, in mich. its only leagal for red or blue strobes for firefighters or police. i had the fortunite mishape of having red in one of my lights, i cant remember the price, but i had a nice little ticket from it and had to return to the state police post so they could inspect my plow truck!:dizzy:
  15. flykelley

Yes you are right my turn signal part is yellow on my 2001 Chev.I will have a strobe in there,now the brake light on the back of the cab the dealer was talking about has me worried,will have to do some checking on that part. I think I will also have my front turn signals have strobes also.

Regards Mike
  16. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

Over here the really only color u can legally run is amber(yellow).I have ampers in the front but are going to run the clears in the red part of the rear.They dont really mind up here when there on if its snowing and your out plowing,i just wouldnt be running them on all the time when your out or just cruising along.
  17. flykelley

Yes the same is true in Michigan,amber is the legal color,but I don't think they will mess with me if I'm plowing with strobes on the white part of the brake light on the cab.Front and rear strobes will be amber,now I think abour it I couls use amber strobe heads in the light on the cab brake light.

Regards Mike
  18. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I used the Whelan system also, it was about 400.00 for everything. The only thing about mounting them in your rear tail light is when you step on the brake, some light systems will wash out the strobe because it is not bright enough.

I have had several police cars pass me when plowing at 2:30 in the morning, I had every light going, they never said a word.
  19. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

i just got one set in this a.m. Everything seems real good,about 1-1 1/2 hours to run them all taking your time,i got the 90 watt power supplies and there much brighter than the 60 watt ones.Get the 90 watt's for the extra money,they are very bright,even in the day today with the sun,and it only cost 200 for one complete set.
  20. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Strobe Systems

I stock these systems and am willing to offer them to members of this board for $199.99. You will be very pleased with them. System in complete and you can do the install yourself in about 2 hours. E-mail me direct if interested or want details rcpd34@comcast.net I have this same system on all of my trucks; it's cheap insurance!