1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

near....slip&fall ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by powerjoke, Jan 13, 2008.

1. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i had a newer (but large) client of mine call today and said : Rick we had a near slip&fall today at one of the medical building's what can we do to help prevent this problem from re-accuring,....i know we havent had any snofall or ice for weeks now but..."

so he inquired about the liquid treatment (which we kinda do) he say's he know's it's above and beyond our origional agrement but he want's it anyway

so my Q' to you is since my equipment is home-made and only about 6' wide (for walk's) what should i purchase or build. to accomidate this 3-4 acre lot

i know i can buy a pre-treat sytem for about $3-4k but he is the only client that want's this service

i have been using calcium chloride from the concrete plant for about $1per gal and on walks i just "over apply" to cover my butt. (but on a large scale it is just too much cost$)

the moisture is accumulating from the roof's condinsation of these buildings that drain on the lot and he wants a buffer zone of the entire lot payup

so how do i go about this economicly? and what chemical and what rate do i apply at?

2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Could I just call our local concrete plant and ask if they sell calcium chloride? Well I guess what i'm trying to ask is, do most concrete plants sell that stuff? I bought some liquid ice melter in gallon jugs before and it was expensive. To expensive to be practical.

3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Got anyone in your area you could sub just that coverage for to buy you some time to rig your own solution. Then you won't be in a pinch and it will give you time to market the option to others. OR maybe come back to the guy telling him that it is an expensive start up cost for a very limited audience and offer him salting with sand.... ?

4. powerjoke

we currently treat this location with salt only but the problem is the roof runoff and the snowpiles melting (poorly drained lot)and the problem is really just "black ice" and i just need something to keep the bond from forming and give me a 2-3day window so i don't have to get up every morning this winter just to run off 3-4T of salt

thanks for the help guys keep it comin

5. powerjoke

i have called around today and learned alot:

here is a little.

i will be sticking with calcium chloride as it has the lowest freeze temp (~-65*) :eek: and i will just be aplieng at 35 Gallons Per Acre with a floodjet nozzle?

i will just use one of my farm skid sprayer's with about a 45' wingspan so i'll be done in no-time:D

6. madmaxxxx

madmaxxxx Member

I am interested in this. How do you achieve the 35 gals per acre? As I understand this, buy calcium chloride from a concrete plant and pump it thru a set of nozzles out the back of a truck and you have de-icier. I could see a setup with a tank in the back of a dump and a small pump setup. I would like to know how this works out. Thanks.

7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

A lot of you guys/gals are landscapers right?
    If you have access to a hydroseeder Like an EZlawn unit you could adapt it real easy. I use mine to water baseball fields in the summer.

Another tool that can be used year around.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You can experiment PJ but this is why we do site checks every morning. Runoff from snow piles and seepage from pavement is a big concern that not many worry about. Most major slip and falls occur on days where no snow is in the forcast. People do not expect ice on a nice sunny day, when it hasn't snowed for a week. We use to pre apply bare ground and salt brine to some of our parking lots. Without getting into a big debate about this, liquid will not help on runoff. The water runs during the day and washes it all off. I wish there was some easy fix too, then I wouldn't have to do site checks 7 days a week. Liquid does work to not let snow bond on pavement and does help with those frosty mornings. But if the customer wants it, you might as well give it to him. Other people won't agree with me but straight salt works the best on runoff and it will give you residue. When the runoff mixes with salt it creates salt brine. JMO

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  9. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

What about just leaving a layer of salt between the run off areas and the drains. If it doesn't rain it could last for weeks.

10. powerjoke

that is what i have done but i think traffic is busting the salt granules and carying them off?

11. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

I have an office building that has a run off problem and I love this account.Money maker when it hasnt snowed for weeks.I never used liquid but salting several times a week solves the problem and I dont mind.I would try different methods and see which works best.Either way the customer must be willing to pay wether its for the expensive product(liquid) or your time and inconvienance of salting on cold mornings several times a week. PS. THOSE LITTLE BUGS ARE ANNOYING READING YOUR POSTS.